Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• It's gone. I'm pretty sure it was just pressure in my ear. It was clogged up a bit when I came home last night. I did 28 dives yesterday and it was getting harder to equalise on the last few so I stopped. Thanks badehh.

I meant to ask when we were chatting on FB, glad its gone buddy. Man you are hurting me with those dive times!! sheeettt.... clearly i have to improve!!! Still stuck at 1:10-1:20 at 40!! :(

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I think I'm just learning what we were taught. Kirk Krack told us that "relax your eye lid" thing.

Do it just sitting there. For me, I can sense a lot of muscles relaxing when I focus on that. And when I get to that state preparing for dives on the surface, that's when I get the best times….without even trying. I don't hyperventilate. Just some long deep breaths.
    Then kick to get going down. At 30 feet….just glide but with head down….relaxed. And the same on the bottom. I position myself to where no muscles are tensed. Head down is good for 15 seconds or so to give the fish time and not see your eyes. (that's my theory anyway) Many times, a nice snapper that I didn't see from the surface just shows up.
    I get into that state after about 8 dives or so. And can get maybe 12-15 of the longer ones. Then I guess I begin to tire a bit and times drop back down to 1 min 30 or so.
    I'm stoked. I would have never thought there was this much to breath hold diving. And I did that PFI course 4 years ago. It's just now really sinking in.

• Well, Fricken' Jake stories won't be coming from Belize. He's moving to Kona…KONA !!!??? haha. Lucky him. Working for a big shrimp breeding company.
    Im moving off the shrimp farm to farther south and the Spaniad is coming back….well….90% sure he is. So I'll be moving my boat down to where the Spaniard and I used to launch his boat. Then I'll build my house on Sittee River and there's a boat ramp there. It'll be cool coming a few miles up a river. Won't have to worry about washing the boat and rinsing motors.

I'm going to have two kids and three grandkids in Hawaii. That's as good a reason as any to visit there a couple times a year.

• Good luck Jake although I know you don't need it, rock star of the aquaculture world that you are! Hank boy, you building a house.... serious roots you putting down now bruddah!

George Steele

• I'm pretty stoked about the house. About time. I'm 60 and have never owned my own house. And my wife is really stoked. ….which is a good thing. :laughing:

Also looking forward some new opportunities that are brewing work wise. It's like sitting on the beach looking at big surf and thinking of paddling out, or heading out to that deep reef under grey skies and choppy seas….a little bit of anxiety wondering what's coming….but jump in the water…and all is well.

We live for this shit. ..new adventures:thumbsup2::laughing:

• Finally back in the water. We took down the fence that was blocking the canal to keep the sargassum sea weed out. The fish get pretty dumb when we're not out there for a while. :D

The cubara just swam up to me at about 50 feet. There was a big school of dogs too but it was definitely a buddy diving situation.
    I dropped in outside the reef in a cut and the boys went in with the boat. I drifted in and thought I saw a small reef shark coming in the semi bad vis. Nice cobia. I got a pretty good shot but still had to wrestle him Only 30 lbs but some good eating.

• Got out for a little swim this afternoon. Shot the little mutton to gut and try to stir up some interest in the water. Only about 15 feet of vis. This barracuda was kind of shadowing me. I kept going down and laying on the pipe and finally he came in close. Got a good head shot but the shaft went all the way through and he did take off. I hate when you can't see a barracuda who can swim. :@

• That's a lot of barracuda swimming around in low vis! I hate those situations myself Hank, nice capture though.

George Steele

• That little mutton would be great fried and served whole 😎 George wants to know what you did to your PINKy. 😝

• When I was at my daughter's house in Kaneohe, I was walking up to greet her and kicked a high chair with my little toe. It was sticking out perpendicular to my foot. So I bent it back in and have been holding it with tape every since. it's been about three weeks.