building a wooden speargun

• Still debating on the sizes for the euro wood. I decided 75% of the gun specs still researching on some of it still..

So far. decided

55 inches long.
    Neptonic Trigger
    Delrim enclose track
    Delrim Muzzle
    neptonic Handle ( With Wood Plates for looks):D
    I will shape the butt for loading from rubber from other post

Undecided
    Size on Euro. Width and height

What you guys think

• :laughing3:marco those guns are sick.. I will hang those for decoration. too pretty for me.:D. Well i just want a hand made one.and this will make me choose for myself pusi can change it a little bit from the riffe look. But like i have said before i will also buy another gun. you know spearos always have more than one gun:thumbsup2: I will try that RA when i go home for sure. :). Thanks god i got no huries for now. and i will have time to choose and study all the angles. I will love a handle like those but i cant follow those instructions. It will end up like Bubble GUM on a stick.

• My seasniper reef is 1.5 tall x 1.75 wide, el riffe euro esta mas o menos igual.

si lo haces 55" eso es mas o menos un 135cm

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• My seasniper reef is 1.5 tall x 1.75 wide, el riffe euro esta mas o menos igual.

si lo haces 55" eso es mas o menos un 135cm

Pucho

Wow pues tratare un 54.:D 1.5 de alto y 1.75 de ancho. le tengo que dar los numeros a Wood Guy. el me va a preparar una pequena maquina asesina:)

• Correccion 55" = 137.5cm

52" = 130cm

otra cosa medida euro y medida america son 2 cosas diferentes, los euro por lo que tengo entendido, se mide de la entrada del gatillo hasta donde comienza el hueco de la goma.

La medida americana como ejemplo 55" es la medida completa del arpon del butt hasta el muzzle.

Por ejemplo mi seasniper mide 59" de largo pero la medida de la entrada del gatillo hasta donde comienza el hueco de las gomas es 130 cm.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Pucho

Been pondering this myself. I'm Guessing the blank would be about 2" to 2-1/4" square by about 24" long, and needing a hole about 1-1/8" diameter by about 8"-12" deep. But it's got to be dead-nuts straight.

• Tin Man:

I was thinking about clamping in drill press with the right sized forstner. Might not be deep enough or accurate enough, though. My lathe would probably only handle about 20" if I had a forstner in the tailstock. How long would yours handle?

• I ask matt about his last gun and he told me his is 6" deep, someone told me that Wong insert it 6", I was thinking like 10" deep because I want to make a design in the wood, here is a pic of matts setup for making the hole, also the tube is .995 osutside.

Pucho

• Forgot blank would be like 34" and the dimentions that jeff told (mine is 1.75 x 1.5), it could be a bonus if it could be enclose track:D.

Also anyone here know who can sell a 36" carbon fiber tube??????, I found only 60" and $$$$

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Tin Man:

I was thinking about clamping in drill press with the right sized forstner. Might not be deep enough or accurate enough, though. My lathe would probably only handle about 20" if I had a forstner in the tailstock. How long would yours handle?

Forstner is probably the way to go, but I think it would take a bit of effort to jig it up square in a drill press. I don't know how you would drill such a long piece on the lathe with a bit in the tailstock, unless you build some sort of support for the overhung (away from the headstock) end of the square blank.

Two possibilities:

1. Good - Mount the block to the carriage of the lathe, while turning the Forstner in the headstock - Would take a while to get it indicated straight, and shimmed for height, but would be a solid setup with a high degree of accuracy

2 Better - Time for a right angle milling head! That would truly make everything simple, and highly accurate. In addition, if you wanted to use a pipe or tube that didn't quite match a standard Forstner diameter, you could use a long-shank flycutter to get the bore perfect. These take standard R8 collets.

prices are all over the map, but you can get an import on Ebay for a reasonable amount.

Edit - Matt showed a picture of drilling a blank, but I think that most hybrids are constructed by routing a half round in each half of a stock, and then gluing them toghether with the tube in place.

• Cant wait to get my head straight on this project. is driving me :crazy::troll1: I got so many ideas i want that i can build like 4 guns with them. trying to get one done is ridiculous. Well i know i will have my gun done the right way ..

• Ok guys this is for me one of the most eye opening post here.:D:D I got a ?? What size of shaft i need for this bad boy. a 55" wood gun. Any idead i mean just the lenght. Dan you are the shaft maker. I need your info here:D:D i know you got an idea lets say from the trigger mech to the end of the gun is like 50" how long the shaft i need to buy. ??? Just trying to see what is out there for options. and is easier to ask spearos that might already know than for me to be waisting lots of time trying to search an answer:)

• Ok guys this is for me one of the most eye opening post here.:D:D I got a ?? What size of shaft i need for this bad boy. a 55" wood gun. Any idead i mean just the lenght. Pargo you are the shaft maker. I need your info here:D:D i know you got an idea lets say from the trigger mech to the end of the gun is like 50" how long the shaft i need to buy. ??? Just trying to see what is out there for options. and is easier to ask spearos that might already know than for me to be waisting lots of time trying to search an answer:)

That depends on how recesed is the trigger mech on your gun. You need at least 12 inches of shaft overhang, i prefer a longer S. O. of say 15 inches though. Generaly speaking a 55 inch gun would be o.k with a 57 " or 60 " Hawaiian flopper or 57 threaded.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• What purpose does more than 12" of overhang on a gun serve, other than muzzle ballast? Addmittedly, I'm a dirty water hunter and use short guns for close shots, but I don't understand what the advantage of lots of overhang is.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Bill

• Bill, I can't say what's up with 15" but shorter than 13" made a negative difference for me as far as accuracy. Until I try a 15" overhang I don't know how it shoots.

My sentiments exactly. I don´t know how people aim with less than 15 " of S.O. Maybe they shoot rifle style. For me aiming is like pointing a finger towards target, otherwise is like pointing a fist at it.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver