Barrel length: 1.1m from back of band slot to mech
    Core: Mahogany
    Finish: Carbon fibre
    Airbrushing: A combination True Fire technique in a classic hotrod outline
    Mech: Wide throat reverse mech
    Handle: Customised JBL
    Rubbers: Twin 16mm
    Shaft: 7.5mm, 300mm overhang and triple mini shark tabs

I am happy with this little gun with the real test happening tomorrow afternoon.
    I added magnets in the muzzle prior to application of the carbon fibre and i was initially worried that 2 may have been to strong. Once wrapped they are not as strong as I desired so I will have to improve this in the future.

• Love the flames! Beautiful guns man. What is the longest you think you can go with that shape and cf over wood? Like 140-160 id guess. Stiffer than a pipe gun

i like to spear fish

• Are you wrapping wood in CF or is it made entirely from CF then painted?

Yes, it has a timber core that is wrapped in carbon fibr. It is then levelled with epoxy, lightly sanded and airbrushed. it is then finished in another 4 coats of epoxy. Labour intensive but I wanted to ensure no water problems with the airbrushing.

• Love the flames! Beautiful guns man. What is the longest you think you can go with that shape and cf over wood? Like 140-160 id guess. Stiffer than a pipe gun

Thanks Lunker

This was my first project with flames. I practised on panels and then dummy blanks first. I was going to pin stripe the flames like the old hotrod style but liked the look of it how it is.

With straight grained timber that is laminated and well seasoned I would be confident in making a 1.6m
    My 1.3 will take my weight (90kg) standing on it while only being supported on either end.

These guns will evolve over time. I am no expert, just a guy in a garage trying new things step by step.

Regards

Darren.

• Hey Teaspoon (and others).
    I know this post is old, but I just went through a ton of your stunning guns. Well done!

Have a quick question in regards to the handles. How do you do them?
    I'm guessing silicone smeared on? Two-component or just the stuff out of a tube?
    Any tricks on the the smearing part itself?
    Eg. back in the day when I did a bit of small boat repair, soapy water on the finger tip was a pretty rock'n roll trick for making/shaping epoxy glue lines smooth fast.

• Amazing work! How did you get the carbon fiber to lay so evenly? Fabric/or sleeve? Vacuum bag?
    Nice job on the handle as well, for a second I thought it was an old OMER cobra handle/mech assembly.:thumbsup2:

• Amazing work! How did you get the carbon fiber to lay so evenly? Fabric/or sleeve? Vacuum bag?
    Nice job on the handle as well, for a second I thought it was an old OMER cobra handle/mech assembly.:thumbsup2:

It's been a while since Teaspoon posted, but if I recall correctly one of the other posts says he vac bags his guns.

• Anyone have a resource for carbon sleeves? I want to wrap one of my older teak guns for a project.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Hey Teaspoon (and others).
    I know this post is old, but I just went through a ton of your stunning guns. Well done!

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much.

Quote from Diving Geko

Have a quick question in regards to the handles. How do you do them?
    I'm guessing silicone smeared on? Two-component or just the stuff out of a tube?
    Any tricks on the the smearing part itself?
    Eg. back in the day when I did a bit of small boat repair, soapy water on the finger tip was a pretty rock'n roll trick for making/shaping epoxy glue lines smooth fast.

I used polyurethane on these handles and after 2 years it still does not require any maintenance.
    When I tried these the handles felt super slippery with my new dyneema gloves. So I used Sika 310ml Sikaflex Pro Polyurethane Adhesive Sealant in a caulking tube. Moved it around with a paddlepop stick (small flat stick) till I was happy it filled all of the voids.

I use a vacuum bag set up. I use a combination of carbon and carbon / fibreglass materials.

Cheers mate.