• Well, I have some ideas for you. First get a Squid(skirt) you can get them for 1-3$$. I would put that on the bottom with a sinker in it. For the body of the flasher you could use CD's, Pieces of plastic with Holographic stickers/reflective tape, you could get spoons cut the handles off flatten them and shine them up. etc... Anything that shines, Hook up six or 10 of these in any combo linked together with some swivels(mono or cable/ crimps) to make them spin, and attach to float.

• The Dorito bags work, but also something that works great are the emergency blankets, cut them in 2" wide by 3' or 4' strips and put some duck tape on the end so it have something strong to attach them to a line with some lead at the bottom, thay move incledible with a tinny current, they will look like a ribbon fish, favorite food of sierras:D

With one blanket you will have loooots of strips at least for a year and you will have one in you first aid kit running around.

Pucho

PS the one I see using the dorito bags the weight that he used was an old lock that he lost the key, so even cheaper, the line he found it underwater one day diving, the bags in the trash can in the same beach, cant beat cheaper that that.

• Those are some serious advice. Thank you for the time. The flasher Technique is producing blue water fish around here time after time, and it´s a great alternative to chumming. I will rig a flasher with some of your ideas and i will post a few pics, then a will give it a try in punta perico ;)

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• I saw a roll of reflective silver holographic ribbon on Ebay for $6 for 500 yards. If you were using clear PVC tube as a floatline, what would happen if you pulled a few strands of holographic ribbon through the center of the floatline?

Not practical for an existing floatline, but maybe if you were making one. Do toothy critters ever actually bite the flasher?

• Yes they do Bite the flashers. I have seen barracudas and Macks tear them up. That is why youneed to make them with the cheapest stuff like Dorito bags;) and a fishing line

Throw some hooks on there too, maybe we could catch one!

• 10-4. The holographic ribbon is cheap, but I guess you don't want them gnawing on your floatline. I was just thinking that might be an elegant solution that would be easy to roll up and wouldn't get tangled.

This from someone who's never even used a flasher . . .

• I have seen one with 60 feet of 100# fishing line and it has lots of fishing wire with pieces of metal. hanging kind of like the ones marlin fishermans use to lure the marlin closer. those are heavy duty, But i guess i wont like carrying all that extra suff with me;)

• I know of someone that lost a Rob Allen flasher by a shark, cudas hit them, I made one and jacks have hit them too, if want to get more fancy on Cabelas sells few plastic spinners (they look like Rob Allen but smaller) with reflective tape.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• All of the above are serious thoughts, thank you so much. My criteria about cheap and good stuff is like that, there are some sperfishing aspects that cheaper is not always better, for instance if you get a decent speargun in 500 bucks that will be in good shape after 20 years of use ( that mean it will actually outlive you) then is about 25 bucks a year, that´s a bargain considering the amount of fish caught by it. But a flasher is a stuff that would easely get teared up or thorn out, so considering spending 100 + bucks for one it´s insane. With that kind of advice i will certainly have flashers to spare...

Now, Do you have a particular flashing technique that works best for ya?

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• What Mako spearguns sells are called salmon trolling flashers also called dodger flashers or the like. You can find used sets on ebay for cheap but makos price is good if you are buying new ones.

The tape is called holoform or lure tape and basspro shops has three 2"x6" pieces for $1.99. I have used this tape on railguns and it sticks good.

Davie Peguero

• TSA will have a field day opening my bag up at the airport... stacks of Dorito bags, mini discoballs, waterproof vibrators (testing new theory), and bottles of wetsuit lube. :laughing3: