Daryl Wong in the news

• This is from my daughter who lives in Kaneohe. I'm trying to find out more. Shit. Crazy.

Holy shit dude. There was a news story just broadcasted about four molokai men that illegally boarded Daryl wongs boat and harassed and robbed them while they were fishing off of molokai. And the people from molokai they interviewed were all pissed at Daryl saying no fair he go there now that he depleted the fish around Oahu.... They almost made it sound justifiable that those assholes boarded his boat. Shet buddeh. Look up the story in hawaii news now. That's crazy.

• Spoke with my Cuzin Diver Joe today and these local boy Moloka'i thugs are being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. There's a lot of concern over issues trying to keep people away...even kama'aina from other islands like uncle Daryl, because of activities associated with pakalolo and such. Daryl has Ohana on Moloka'i and never should have been treated like one outsider. Daryl doesn't overfish, and is always a gracious host to anyone who comes to Hawaii. He's a total gentleman and ethical hunter. This was nevah one issue about fishing "a spot"...it was about localism/tribalism like what has plagued surfing and allegedly about "other" activities.

BTW, anyone boards my boat like that, or even my kayak or float, they would get a first hand close up experience from my Glock!

Respect the kupuna and the 'aina... I'll back Daryl, no questions asked! But that's just me and my boys.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Yeah, crazy people. Daryl goes to Moloka'i because he....HE...depleted all the fish on Oahu?

Shit, I was hoping to go with him to Moloka'i one day. He said it's pretty unreal.

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Yeah, unreal off Moloka'i. Ulua in shallow reef! There have been problems with the exotic fish industry with guys on scuba collecting choke fish and depleting exotic species...these guys have been chased from the waters here on BI and other islands...usually kooks from the mainland looking to make money! But local spear fishermen usually get respect no mattah where you dive. We all have our secret or family hunting grounds, but when other divers show up its all in the attitude of ethics and respect for a spot and its fishermen before any conflict arises. And then it's usually the commercial guys that get quoted in the news...you know the ones that are hauling in fish by the tons! A divers kui is not usually what's responsible for depleting the fish. It's usually higher volume fishing operations. I've hunted reefs in Fiji, Samoa, Carribean, that have been fished out by constant harvesting and no conservation methods for replenishing fish populations. But that's usually reefs of a village where the sustenance fisherman and divers don't venture very far away from their spots. I've found even in these areas that there are still fish, they're just very smart and make themselves hard to find. But as I've ventured beyond local reef spots further away from the overfished village areas, the fish populations get thicker. In Samoa, the villages now have preserve areas within their reef that are off limits to any fishing. Akamai! Smart. The funniest thing I've seen was in the Bahamas. One local Bahamian swimming with a rubbish can scooping up lobsters during the closed season! But I digress.

Daryl guys are not the problem. And from talking with my cuz, it sounds like the localism was more to keep guys away from "other agricultural and harvesting" ventures! :nono:

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Yeah, unreal off Moloka'i. Ulua in shallow reef! There have been problems with the exotic fish industry with guys on scuba collecting choke fish and depleting exotic species...these guys have been chased from the waters here on BI and other islands...usually kooks from the mainland looking to make money! But local spear fishermen usually get respect no mattah where you dive. We all have our secret or family hunting grounds, but when other divers show up its all in the attitude of ethics and respect for a spot and its fishermen before any conflict arises. And then it's usually the commercial guys that get quoted in the news...you know the ones that are hauling in fish by the tons! A divers kui is not usually what's responsible for depleting the fish. It's usually higher volume fishing operations. I've hunted reefs in Fiji, Samoa, Carribean, that have been fished out by constant harvesting and no conservation methods for replenishing fish populations. But that's usually reefs of a village where the sustenance fisherman and divers don't venture very far away from their spots. I've found even in these areas that there are still fish, they're just very smart and make themselves hard to find. But as I've ventured beyond local reef spots further away from the overfished village areas, the fish populations get thicker. In Samoa, the villages now have preserve areas within their reef that are off limits to any fishing. Akamai! Smart. The funniest thing I've seen was in the Bahamas. One local Bahamian swimming with a rubbish can scooping up lobsters during the closed season! But I digress.

Daryl guys are not the problem. And from talking with my cuz, it sounds like the localism was more to keep guys away from "other agricultural and harvesting" ventures! :nono:

Yeah, overfishing is a problem here in Belize too. There are laws but no money for enforcement.

But MPAs, or preserves do work. My buddy has a resort in the west central Philippines, which is probably one of the most overfished places anywhere, (dynamite, cyanide etc) and they made a preserve back in the 90s. The locals all respect it and wow....the fish have made a comeback. All the fishermen benefitted.

But MPAs haven't taken hold in Hawaii so much, or so my daughter tells me. It's the "my father's family fished here and his father before him and no one can tell me I can't fish here" attitude that many have. Her grandfather, Jack Randall, has done a lot of studies on this and made recommendations to Hawaii officials but it hasn't happened.

• Didn't hear about this until I read it on this thread. Funny since I live in maui. Hoping to dive Molakia soon. Intersting to hear what the reception might be like. So strange since even though I dive mostly out of the way places on Maui almost everybody including locals are super nice. I do hear Molokai is a different story though

• I just got this email from a close friend. I have spearfished Molokai a couple of times and enjoyed the culture and people. Please read this with understanding that we should see both sides of the story before passing judgment.

Dear Family and Friends,

As many of you may have already heard from the local news, there was a conflict between Daryl Wong and some of our sons of Molokai. While we are not justifying the altercation, we feel that it is important that the whole truth be told in this story.

Daryl Wong has a long history - decades in fact, of coming to Molokai and killing huge quantities of Uhu and other reef fish for commercial sale. He does not just take the larger fish or a reasonable amount of fish. He targets fish of every size - the altercation was largely because of the number of very small fish that he and his group had speared. The scale of his harvesting is in the hundreds and thousands of fish. He has been selling thousands of pounds of Uhu and other reef fish to Chinatown on Oahu and also outside of the state of Hawaii for many many years. The first complains against Daryl Wong occurred well over 15 years ago. Year after year Molokai residents who depend on this food resource have been complaining and asking him to consider the sustainability of his actions. In the beginning he was welcomed into Molokai - the people here are kind, friendly, and amazingly generous. They give and give until they have nothing left. All who get to know the people here can attest to their tremendous generosity! His greed is the cause for this problem. He has greatly reduced the amount of reef fish in the Hakaano area on the North East side of Molokai for example. All Molokai residents have see this tremendous depletion of this food resource over the years. Many divers throughout the state are well aware of his actions - please speak out!

This altercation was a result of Daryl Wong's actions over the last couple of decades. The frustration reached a boiling point and the residents of Molokai did the only action left - openly confront him for what he was doing. Daryl Wong has been destroying the Molokai food resource in the most selfish and disgusting manner possible - and in exchange for money in his pocket. Daryl Wong should know better - especially as he claims to care about our state and ocean resources and has a large line of diving equipment and spear guns.

Daryl Wong needs to publicly apologize for his selfish, greedy, and embarrassing actions. Please forward this to everyone you know because this is an issue that affects all of us and our future generations to come. Stopping people like Daryl Wong is the only way to insure that our children and all future generations have a chance to enjoy the wonderful fish resources our oceans provide.

Dr. Daryl Wong is now using his wealth and influence to go after the people who were trying to protect the ocean and asking for responsibly harvesting.

With Love and Respect,

The Concerned Parents of the Children of Molokai.

This was posted on a Hawaii spearfishig facebook page. Whoever wrote this didn't have any form of proof to back up the allegations. A few people did come out to claim they have known this to be true.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• So Maui county has a fishing limit on Uhu now in place. That includes Molokai. How does this factor in to this issue? I have no side in this argument except for the general idea that when someone acts above the law to the harm of others it is a lawless act which is reprehensible. The logical individual inside of me says how can whatever many fish he shot ever compare to guys setting net and raping the reef? But I am not well educated on these matters and what do I know.

• Shit. Jake and I get as much fish on most days as I got any day diving with Daryl. He didn't shoot small parrot fish on Oahu anytime I was with him.
    Usually he would go for a big ulua. And we never got more than two.

He works 5 days a week. Goes diving on Thurs and Sun. And how many trips to Molokai? Once or twice a month? If that? And he cleaned them out?

How is it that he still gets fish on Oahu?

We get shit here from some locals at one of our favorite spots. When? After they see us getting fish and they're not. We go there maybe 4-6 times a year but ask them about us and you'll probably get a similar story as this one about Daryl.

• I think those thugs got lucky, they chose Daryl. Daryl deserves the Aloha award for coolness under pressure. On my boat, getting rammed on purpose with divers in the water is IMHO justification to be in fear for ones life and would likely end with deadly force. Most of the dudes I know would also act in the same way, I guess there isnt much aloha in Fl.

To those guys father, 2 wrongs dont make a right. I am pretty sure Daryl could make alot more money woodworking or fixing grills than rapping the reef that he loves. Glad he is ok.

• I WOULD like to get involved. I KNOW Daryl, Joe, and the kind of people Daryl surrounds himself with. I also know he is successful as a Dentist, a custom gun builder, and has no need to profit from selling fish at market, so I am suspect of those complaints. I also am related to pure Hawaiians, Kanaka Maoli, Keiki o Ka'aina, Children of the land. I understand the principle of "Aloha Aina, Aloha Kai" (love for the land and love for the sea.) I understand both sides of the argument and am familiar with the kind of personalities involved. I am usually accused by my family as being too pro-Hawaiian, Kanaka...Hawaiian Sovereignty...etc, but this is just plain wrong and stupid for these "sons of Moloka'i" to show unlawful and worse yet, disrespect for one Kumu, or teacher/master/ ambassador of Hawaiian Spearfishing. If there is a concern or dislike for off-islanders fishing your spots there is a more effective way to deal with the issue. Daryl's not Captain Cook coming to conquer Moloka'i, he's a fellow diver and fisherman...ethical fisherman. Knowing Daryl, I'm sure that if overfishing off Moloka'i is a real concern then he would more likely accept the offer to be involved in a community discussion of that issue. I know a few local boy thugs myself and this is the exact kind of behavior that makes them thugs. If they want to be true to their Moloka'i heritage, they should have honored their Kupuna by displaying the strong and royal character that is Hawaiian and showed respect...especially after they found out who's boat they had invaded (and it sounds like that if the letter written above is correct, they knew all along who' s boat they were boarding). But instead they steal one of Daryl's guns, push an Airforce Airman overboard and threaten his wife. THATS NOT THE PROUD HAWAIIAN HERRITAGE THAT I KNOW.

"UA MAU KE'EA O KA'AINA I KAPONO O HAWAII" "The breath/life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness of Hawaii". Hawaiian State Motto

Aloha!
    Makoa

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• The irony is that, knowing Daryl, I can guarantee had they asked nicely, he would have gladly given them the fish and a free speargun. Thats the type of guy he is. No doubt in my mind, the allegations are jelous hearsay from fisherman that cant catch a cold.

The thugs sound like the were tweaking
    Its the only explenation to ilogical behavior
    Had they tried that on my boat, chances are they would have had a new body piercing with a 11L rob allen float attached to it..

• Especially since they do this to a legend like Daryl Wong.

Daryl is one of, if not the most, generous all around great person, for thugs to harass. Hope they get punished to the full authority of the law.

• -Kumu=Daryl Wong
    -Aloha spirit=Daryl wong
    -Humble gracious ambassador=Daryl wong.
    Parents of thugs that condone and justify violent illegal behavior with lies= trash
    Imho