Roller spearguns

• I've never shot….or even seen a roller gun. But i don't think reloading speed is really a big issue anyway.
    I can't recall even one time where being able to reload even 20 seconds faster would have made a difference in getting another fish.
    If a school of fish is around and I get one….dog snapper?, mutton?…whatever we hunt here, and I get one, it takes minutes to get a decent sized fish off the shaft and, in my case, usually on the boat. But even if I used a stringer, it would take a bit of time to load a fish onto there.
    Given all that time, what's a few more seconds needed to load a gun?

I have had a jack or fish on where a few other snappers came up to look. But before I even got the fish off the shaft, they were gone.

Maybe with other species in other parts of the ocean it's different, but that's what I've experienced.

• I've never shot….or even seen a roller gun. But i don't think reloading speed is really a big issue anyway.
    I can't recall even one time where being able to reload even 20 seconds faster would have made a difference in getting another fish.
    If a school of fish is around and I get one….dog snapper?, mutton?…whatever we hunt here, and I get one, it takes minutes to get a decent sized fish off the shaft and, in my case, usually on the boat. But even if I used a stringer, it would take a bit of time to load a fish onto there.
    Given all that time, what's a few more seconds needed to load a gun?

I have had a jack or fish on where a few other snappers came up to look. But before I even got the fish off the shaft, they were gone.

Maybe with other species in other parts of the ocean it's different, but that's what I've experienced.

Thats because you are to good buddy..lol.
    Many times a wahoo has appeared out of nowhere and in a funy spot, I contort, and try my best to take the shot only to miss... the bastard then bombs me, and does slow laps around me mere inches away as i scramble to load. Quick load=dead fish, slow load=me feeling worse about a bad situation :laughing: Happened more than once and is in my blooper archives which will NEVER be shown!! :D

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Well the one time I did miss…..:D….the fish knew right away that I'm an aggressive predator. And they have hung around for a few seconds thinking…."what was that…..oooohhhhhh…f**k this, we're outa here". Of course, I only hunt intelligent fish……:laughing:

But, i have seen Daryl Wong shoot three Kole (small surgeon fish) in one dive as he laid on the bottom with a Hawaiian sling, which obviously is a very fast loading gun. So yeah….hey….I'm learning.

Edited 3 times, last by hank ().

• Well the one time I did miss…..:D….the fish knew right away that I'm an aggressive predator. And they have hung around for a few seconds thinking…."what was that…..oooohhhhhh…f**k this, we're outa here". Of course, I only hunt intelligent fish……:laughing:.

ohhhh that reply is 2 awesome!!! :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I don't get to shoot huge fish since I hunt ckose to the shore mostly, but after a shot, regardless of if it was successful or not, I wait the appropriate time on the surface to recover and not accumulate CO2. This gives me more than enough time to reload, etc. In any event I'm not as good of a shot as you guys :-).

• Finality, after a lot of coffee and 16 pages.

Pro and contra more outstanding for me on the basic roller system vs simple rubber (2 parallel rubber), not its usability.

Pro

better use length barrel

contra

No maximizes rubber power

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• Why would someone want a shorter gun for longer shots? That kind of defeat the purpose of a shorter gun which is manuverability in tight spaces , when I'm hunting among rocks, I generally want to power down the gun instead of increasing its power for obvious reasons. If you need a gun that's more maneuverable and powerful for it's size, just go with a middle handle, which is a very versatile set up. A riffe No ka Oi, for instance is way more manueverable than my RA 1000 and is even shorter from the handle to the tip if you measure both that way, and it's significantly more powerful, if I want less power I just take one band out, if I want more reach , I just pjt another 14mm band on the gun's slot and that's it.

The only way I'd go with a roller configuration is IF that gun would give me more reach with A LONGER gun, but sadly, it's not the case...

Excellent thread by the way...

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Nearly every rollergun configuration was explored here some time ago. You need to read right through to the end, but can skip some of the derails. Note that the energy diagrams are stacked by reversing the profile in some cases to make rectangular forms, but in reality are big triangles when added to each other. As we are only interested in the areas the shape of the diagrams is immaterial.

https://forums.deeperblue.com/…-storage-diagrams.107171/

• Diagrams are used to compare energy stored in the various gun types after cocking the bands, but do not show what comes out as any inefficiency in the drive system or long term (e.g. half an hour cocked) "band soak" will reduce the energy imparted to the spear with the shot. Hydrodynamic drag is not accounted for either as every surface moving through the water experiences resistance to their movement by surface drag or suction in the volume they vacate.