06/10/2009 La Santa Fe - Muttons

• Nice catch. Muttons are my favorite. The big pregnant ones are certainly are appearing in numbers.

Davie Peguero

• nice fish guys, nice video Dan.

Alan, what kind of fins are you using? they look good. what thickness suit are you wearing? is it a skin? if so, 9 lbs is def too much, try 6-7 tops.

China V.I.P

• the suit thickness is 1.5 mm, with a rashguard over it. the fins i was using were dan's new carbon fiber blades.

im not sure what stifness they were? as i was just trying them out. they are a definite noticeable improvement from the fiberglass blades i use.

• Alan you seem very overweighted. Ten cuidado.

I agree. You should be able to breath easily in the surface without sinking or moving your fins. Depending on the dept you dive, you adjust the weight. For 50-70' I would go with a weight that keeps you positive until you have reached 20'. Then, you just let your body fall down without moving a muscle, concentrating in relaxing and compensating. It will take a little longer to reach the bottom, but your bottom time will increase a lot and you will feel more relaxed.

One more hint: When diving "deep", try not to look down when you are descending. Keep your chin attached to your chest. You will notice a remarcable difference since your neck muscles will be relaxed and you'll be more hydrodinamic. Try it next time and tell us. ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• thanks marco, i usually tuck my chin in and it does help.

in that dive i was suffering from ciguatera, what had happened earlier in the day had my adrenaline going and i could not control my heart rate to feel relaxed enough to get a decent dive.

• the fins i was using were dan's new carbon fiber blades.

im not sure what stifness they were? as i was just trying them out. they are a definite noticeable improvement from the fiberglass blades i use.

The carbon blades will come in stiffnesses defined by us with input from other divers in our community. The ones you tried Alan are #2 (medium). The #2 blade is our parting point in terms of calibrating stiffness and is suitable for the average diver. I'm using #2 blades now but looking forward to trying and probably using the carbon blades in #1 (medium soft) stiffness, which is now in the process of being made especially for us. The other stiffness is #3 (medium hard), which I tested and is harder than what I want to use on a regular basis. The increments in stiffenss are designed so as to be gradual enough for every diver to find the perfect match, leaning towards the idea of steering guys away from using blades that are too stiff. This a common pitfall with divers who are inexperienced in fiberglass and carbon blade selection, they are in the majority BTW. I was one too up until a year ago.

• the suit thickness is 1.5 mm, with a rashguard over it. the fins i was using were dan's new carbon fiber blades.

Sponsored diver uh? ;)

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Honest diver :)

I'm not going back to fiberglass blades unless I can't afford the carbons. The carbons feel lighter and pop back into straight quicker, another way of saying they're more reactive. And they look really nice too. OK didn't mean to turn this into a commercial. Back to nice fish and a stellar day.. :)