Neophyte draws blood –*Rolo's first wild hogs

• Hi guys,

After a having had a semi successful hunt last month, with only one out of 4 hunters getting a hog, we decided it was time to redeem ourselves. This time bringing along self proclaimed neophyte Rolando. ;)

The day started with JC and my self in a stand, waiting for the sun to rise, and for Rolo and Emil to arrive. After sitting in the stand for more than an hour, we got word that the others had arrived. We had only seen 3 hogs, none of which presented a hot. JC decided to explore the swamp where we had heard lots of hog activity during our time in the stand, while the guide and myself went back to the swamp buggy at the edge of the property to pick up Emil and Rolo. On our way there I spotted a REALLY FAT sow, and two smaller sows, but also fat, right on the property line. We snuck to with in 30 yards, and I blew out her spine with my AR. I was hesitant in taking the shot as people tend to say a .223 isn't enough bullet to take down a hog, but it seems to do the job just fine when you put it in the right spot. The 2 other pigs took off into the palmettos. We decided to leave her there for the moment, and pick up Rolo and Emil first at the lodge, after which the guide would to meet JC at the stand in the swamp buggie, and then take back my sow to gut and store in the cooler.

After meeting the guys at the lodge we immediately get back on the buggy and return to the hunting property. As we are on the road we hear a few shot gun blasts in the distance. Seems JC is getting some action in the swamp. Emil and Rolo are getting excited, and my adrenaline is still flowing from my fresh kill only minutes earlier. As we near the edge of the property, we spot the 2 smaller hogs that had accompanied my sow earlier. Apparently unafraid of the buggy as we pull up the to them. As the guide stops the buggy, and nods the OK, Emil get up and stone cold rolls over one of the pigs, and finds out the hard way he has the wrong choke on his gun, as her whole side is peppered in buckshot, instead of the tight group he was expecting. The other pig takes of for the palmettos again. After checking out the pig Emil just scored, her sister shows her self in the bush. Rolo takes aim, and in cold blood, shoots her in the face from 15 yards with 00 buckshot. Lights out. Rolo is an animal!

Anyways, we load up the hogs on to the buggy, and set off to meet JC. Turns out he got lucky with 2 hogs in the swamp. A 130+ lbs boar and a nice little sow of about 65lbs. The guide returns to the lodge with the hogs, as the original plan was to start hunting now. We had not expected to already have 5 hogs this early in the day. We decide to head of in to the bush in search for more hogs until it gets to hot, and then call it a day. We sneak up on a few more hogs, but none ever presented shots, until Rolo finally nails one more unlucky boar. Hopefully he'll chime in and tell his part. All I can say is BARBARO!

Anyways, we ended the day with 6 hogs, 5 of which were taken within minutes each other.

Here are some pics.

• Good stuff G or shall I say Barbaro! Reading our ordeal gets my heart pumping full throttle all over again. This memorable day would never had happend without Emil, Gerald and JC for not only coordinating the hunt, but for also giving me countless pointers. As Gerald mentioned, I let it be known that I was a neophyte and encouraged feedback and advice...it sure came in handy. I was able to land two respectable hogs while only taking two shots. I was lucky enough to shoot them both in the head area and not disrupt the meat.

I was real nervous for the first. Emil reacted like a cold-blooded hunter and dropped his sow in no time. And after being placed on the property for no less than 30 seconds, I had my first ever kill. I thought that would be the end of it, but the later hunt was epic. Stalking through swamp, us four hunters were able to lure a few hogs within sight. The boar I later shot was first spotted and we pushed it to one end and later JC and Emil pushed it towards Gerald and I. I was able to ambush him as he came pouncing along and between some bush and a few trees, I was able to hit him in the face again disfiguring his snout. He started running around in circles as it seemed he had trouble breathing and was clearly disoriented...then the real fun began. Gerald put a bullet in him from his side arm from about 20 yards away. Then Emil came in and took charge. He wrestled the pig to the ground and dispatched him with his knife. The best part is we have it on video and it came out pretty awesome.

Just a complete day. Could not have scripted it any better. Had a complete blast with some great pals. Emil processed a few of the pigs himself, he is a complete hunter and has a world of knowledge. Had the loins once I came home yesterday and cooked some of the back straps today. Wife loved it and the dogs got their spine bones and munched all afternoon long. Epic day for sure! Thanks again guys!

Here's a few pictures from my camera of my first hog, a sow. The picture above was the second kill...

• Yep Monster, Rem 870.

Never shot it before, had no time for target practice. Hell, I never shot A shotgun period before taking my first shot on Sat.

• Post some pics of the bbq, once you get them. Great report thanx

Didn't prepare any of the meat on the barbie this weekend. Stay on the stove using some special recipes that came out very good. This was yesterday getting ready to cook some up with a glass of homemade sangria and a "fatty" on my arm.:)

Edited once, last by Rolo ().

• Didn't prepare any of the meat on the barbie this weekend. Stay on the stove using some special recipes that came out very good. This was yesterday getting ready to cook some up with a glass of homemade sangria and a "fatty" on my arm.:)

The baby is beautiful:thumbsup2:.

• Didn't prepare any of the meat on the barbie this weekend. Stay on the stove using some special recipes that came out very good. This was yesterday getting ready to cook some up with a glass of homemade sangria and a "fatty" on my arm.:)

Congratulations Rolo, that`s one cute baby. you have a nice family. Kudos for the great time.

First time shooting uh? I guess point and shoot speargun practice over the years has paid off. :thumbsup2:

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Kid looks great. The resemblance to you is noticeable. Looks like he got mom's hair color?

Yeah, looks like he has some of her northern spaniard look to him. Hair is a blend of blond, red and brown. Still not sure about the eye color, left eye is solid blue and right eye is a mixture of hazel, blue and green. El tipo es un jodedor and stubborn as a bull...that is mom for sure:D.

Thanks for the comments.

• Awesome catch, did you blast them during or after they finished porking each other. Next time take a speargun:D.

Davie Peguero

Edited once, last by seaweed ().