11/30/2009 Goodbye Santa Fe

• Monday Pantoja, Alan and myself went on this last trip with Pantoja's boat. The sea was flat and there was near zero current. Viz wasn't very good but we were able to find and stay on top of bottom structure in 40-50ft. Not too many fish but at one point we ran into a huge school of these jacks? among which there was some yellow jacks too. We each got one and Alan got a good YJ too. The colder water is now in and I recommend to finally pull out the 3mm wetsuit. We're now officially boatless so invites are appreciated.

One last pic of the Santa Fe. Many good memories..

• Ouch...that is painfull...hope that the owner recovers..and eventually in the future get the santa Fe II..:D..all for a new set of memories of bloddy fish:thumbsup2:

• yeah shame,, but it looked like a decent fair well voyage.
    Nice yellow jack. anyone try eating the other type of jack yet?
    its strange so many of your miami hogs are male.. here in dania its primarily females and in betweeners up to that size and larger,, and to see a male its usually 20++ inches.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• nice last supper, von voyage. there is always new and better things awaiting in the future.

I assume Sergio you are leaving soon for your new job. Good luck buddy and make the most of it!

China V.I.P

• i bet some of those jacks put up a good fight :)

Mine did. Gave me the worst tangle I've ever seen, between wrapping the shooting line about 15 times around a very tough plant that I couldn't cut with a knife (in 50ft), and some fishing line that was caught there too, and a nurse shark that was chewing on the jack and I had to poke a few times.

• Not to worry my boat is not as big as Pantojas, but you know that we are here and you are more then welcome....as a matter of fact we are trying to get a trip together to palm beach, let see how the weather is for sunday.

• Nice catch, au revoir Sante Fe.

Jack is jack crevalle, the tiny ones used to be my favorite for H&L and eating. I think the big ones are %100 red meat.

Davie Peguero

• An era has passed. Lots of good times and quality fish from that boat. I bet the only ones rejoicing on this news are the fish in and around Haulover Inlet.

• Look at the jack in the top left corner of the first pic, you can see the bite just above the anal fin. What's interesting is that the bite looks very small, whereas the shark looked big to me.

I shot a yellow jack in the keys, they were about 18lbs, he holed up with my shaft and 5 big nurse sharks came with 2-3 reef sharks hovering around. They went at it for about 5 minutes until I had to go down and retrieve my shaft.

Out came the fish intact, already gutted, they only ate the organs and the skinny belly meat flap. The rest of the fish was unharmed.

I think they just open a tiny hole and try to suck out the guts. Like we do with mangoes.

Davie Peguero