sdeisen little fish reports

• So, Steven saved my ass today, and I'm 100% positive that if he had not been there, I wouldn't be here now.

The conditions today were less than stellar. The waves were high, wind fairly strong, and a slight current moving in the opposite direction. I was having trouble relaxing, so I deployed a tag line off the back of my yak to hang onto while breathing up. I was hanging onto the line breathing up when I heard Steven yell. I glanced up to see that there was a pretty large boat hauling ass directly towards me. I immediately began swimming towards Steven to get out of the boat's path. It missed me by a matter of feet. The boats prop caught the tag line I was holding and flipped my kayak, breaking my paddle. I never heard the boat coming, and I have no doubt that if Steven hadn't seen it and started screaming at me.. I'd look like ground meat. Thanks Steven.

I got it all on video, but it's pretty expletive.. I wasn't too happy.

• Damn guys! Glad you made it out alright. I feel the same way about the boats as I am sure everyone does here. If you have the boat, you don't need to be hauling ass like a maniac less than 1500 yards from shore. Move out to the deeper water and fish or drift.

When boats get close to me I try and get their numbers so I can report them. I had a boat get within feet of me as well, luckily he was not going fast but he crept in slow and got within 20 feet of me. I yelled at him and told him about he needed to be well within a 100 feet of my dive flag and reported his boating number...not sure if it did anything but the people out there in boats can be as dense as rocks.

I wanted to go out today as well but the current looked like it was kicking hard south so I stayed on land.

• Holy crap. What kind of boat was it? Any idea why you didn't hear it? Did you hear it steven? Or just see it? Boats scare me the most about beach diving, but I kind of took comfort in always hearing boats from far away...

Damn guys! Glad you made it out alright. I feel the same way about the boats as I am sure everyone does here. If you have the boat, you don't need to be hauling ass like a maniac less than 1500 yards from shore. Move out to the deeper water and fish or drift.

When boats get close to me I try and get their numbers so I can report them. I had a boat get within feet of me as well, luckily he was not going fast but he crept in slow and got within 20 feet of me. I yelled at him and told him about he needed to be well within a 100 feet of my dive flag and reported his boating number...not sure if it did anything but the people out there in boats can be as dense as rocks.

I wanted to go out today as well but the current looked like it was kicking hard south so I stayed on land.

Technically, the law allows for someone to approach a dive flag at an idle speed. Not that it isnt a super dick move to do especially to a freediver in open water, but its allowed.

(6) Any vessel other than a law enforcement or rescue vessel that approaches within 100 feet of a divers-down flag on a river, inlet, or navigation channel, or within 300 feet of a divers-down flag on waters other than a river, inlet, or navigation channel, must proceed no faster than is necessary to maintain headway and steerageway.

• I'll upload the video this evening when I can get to a computer. The kayak was anchored, with the attached floatline being 100ft long. I was holding on about 75' or so down the line, the prop cut it at exactly 80ft. I just let go of the line completely and swam as fast as possible. I wasn't towing the yak with the floatline. I think I didn't hear it because of the conditions. It was pretty rough, waves breaking, and the wind.. I could hear it whistling in my snorkel like when you blow air over the top of a beer bottle.

Edited once, last by Nate ().

• I'll upload the video this evening when I can get to a computer. The kayak was anchored, with the attached floatline being 100ft long. I was holding on about 75' or so down the line, the prop cut it at exactly 80ft. I just let go of the line completely and swam as fast as possible. I wasn't towing the yak with the floatline. I think I didn't hear it because of the conditions. It was pretty rough, waves breaking, and the wind.. I could hear it whistling in my snorkel like when you blow air over the top of a beer bottle.

I agree, conditions made it really hard to hear anything. I couldnt hear my gopro on/off beeps.
    So no, reefchief, I didn't hear the boat. Just luckily happened to look around at a good time

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Glad u guys r ok.
    Good looking out for each other.
    Try to remember to keep ur flare pistol handy to ward off evil spearits :attack2:
    Hopefully the vid is good enough quality and admissible in court.

SPEARFISHING and RECREATIONAL FISHING NEEDS THE NRA
    Spearfishing Store

Edited 2 times, last by hau ().

• Glad you guys are okay. Hopefully they can catch these people and make an example of them. You should really send the vid to a news channel.You might save another life doing so.

• I hope you guys catch this guy. Fortunately no one was hurt or worse killed. Aside from the awe full experience did you guys land any nice fish?

• I hope you guys catch this guy. Fortunately no one was hurt or worse killed. Aside from the awe full experience did you guys land any nice fish?

There were fish around, and had our day not been cut a bit short I have a feeling we would of done well. But we managed a few fish (nates were lost when his kayak flipped)

Here's nate shooting a Mack out of sight in the minimal viz.

Here's a Y Jack that came in close to have a look

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Looks like it could have been a great day with these last two pictures and the other of you with the mackeral I think they are. Hopefully the kayak wasn't damaged and the equipment aside from the floatline was recuperated.

• Here's a very quick edit of the video. My gopro is the 960 version.. it makes shit look a little further away than it actually is, but that boat was right freakin there. As you can hear in the video.. I cramped in both my legs when I went from completely relaxed to kicking as fast as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PokwKQUTa3w

For the record, I typically don't swear like that. :(

And, here's a pic of the tunaclip after it had been ripped from the kayak..makes me wonder if the kayak hadn't been anchored if it would have been pulled away by the boat.