sdeisen little fish reports

• AAhh I see. To be honest that much thought was not put into it. The whaling video was just ripe on our minds at the time and people have a tendancy to name very personal things like boats and spearguns women's names.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Congratulations.
    the shot looks good, considering you were moving.

Completely stopped and the arm straight, that does not affect recoil. will be appreciated better spearguns

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• Awesome gun. I havent been out in like a month or so cause of these damn winds. Im gonna try and get out tmw afternoon if anyone is looking to get wet. Has the water cooled down much?

Water feels a little bit cooler, but just a little. Did you get out today?

• Out with Natedawg deep in the heart of Miami yesterday. Weather was not inviting, at all, but we are hardcore. Nate failed to launch into some serious rollers and filled his kayak with water while tons of chicks looked on, but he's shameless.. Obviously I shot out no problem. After that it was a long long long paddle out to 52' ,, same distance would of put us in 100' up north. Anyway we got in and viz was horrific. Hopefully Nate has some pictures he can post of how bad it was. We both started getting fish though and ended the day both getting macs, hogs & mangroves. Nate gutted his first fish and we soon after got pushed off of that spot. I dropped my bag and was too sissy to go in after it.
    Next spot was nice and we continued getting fish, with viz being no better.

And I love love my new gun

• I didn't launch into massive surf and eat 3 waves before rolling my kayak and filling it with water, I have no idea what Steven is talking about. The vis was the worst I've dove in this year, but the fish were there and that's all that really matters. We had about 10-12 ft horizontal vis on the bottom, but the Gopro has a way of making it look better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSMBFczVkBo

• It was just a 50ft tag line attached to one of the kayaks. I have trouble getting into my comfort zone in bad surface conditions, I find it a lot easier to get into the relaxed mental state when I'm holding onto something. The waves were pretty huge, every 7th or 8th one was at least 6 ft, possibly more.

• sdeisen/nate---nice video and nice fish for such tough conditions. Congratulations :thumbsup2:

I hunt solo alot, and use a 100' 1/4" yellow POLY float line as a drift line off the back of my yak. One end tied to the back of my yak and a dive flagged buoy tied on the bitter end. That way I have an extra 100' of safety if the current blows me down current of my yak. All this line and flagged buoy wraps up around the buoy nicely and has no metal parts, so I just leave it inside my yak hull if I need it for rough conditions again. Where I live now, I sometimes unwrap my float line and add it to my anchor line to give me an additional 100' of anchor line when I'm spearin deep.

Nice new yak u got there sdeisen :thumbsup2:
    I might suggest tying a small line (like reel line) from the bottom gromlet of the dive flag down at an angle to near the cockpit to keep the wind from blowing the flag pole backwards. :toast:

Shitty viz days, depending on what fish I was spearin for, can be very productive.
    Where I live/spear now is kind of sharky and shitty viz CAN BE VERY EXCITING. I don't mind if a 16" hog swims up to my face in 10' viz, but seeing a shark come through the murk at 10' is different. Maybe I'm just getting old. :hau:

• Hau, thank you for the advice on the flag. I don't think your getting old, sharks in bad viz = no fun. I think if you see a hogfish swim up to you in Guam though, Thats when you really need to worry :crazy:

Hardline thats a cool pic, what are you doing down in miami?

• Hardline thats a cool pic, what are you doing down in miami?

Been doing shark research with UM [SharkTagging.com] for the last 6 months and we routinely go out of Islamorada and Miami. On Friday down in Islamorada, we caught a 13 foot Tiger shark in around 10 feet of murky water and then on Saturday we were up in Miami. I only had a camera though so no spearing. But managed to see tons of Snapper swimming around.

I am off the next several days if you want to get out . Wednesday is looking like it might be doable. I want to build a gun like yours soon.

• I experienced the same viz Saturday off Miami but the fish were out and about as you can see below.

https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcd…876497910_388384860_n.jpg

We have that same kind of water here now. Only on the top 20 feet though.

And Sunday I was tasting this….metallic….sour? taste in the water getting in my snorkel. I thought it was just me because I'd bitten my tongue a bit. But Jake said he tasted it too. I could lick my arm and still tasted it. ???
    WTF? But it don't seem to be bothering the fish. But they were on the bottom where the water was clear.

Also a lot of trash in the water.

• Maybe take a water sample and see of there is a hydrological center that could analyze it. NOAA here will take samples of all sorts of stuff if you can give them sampling info and location.

i like to spear fish