Hatch guns?

• Does anyone own one of these? It looks slimmer than my old Seasniper reef pro. There doesn't seem to be much to the Amero series for the pricetag. $700 for a 120 is insanity!!!

• In my opinion there is not much to a rectangular piece of wood with a handle on it you can make yourself for 3 times less.

This is not the 50's, these manufacturers need to step up like the european wood gun makers and incorporate some research into their guns.

Davie Peguero

• A shoot out would be great. Pick a pool and bring the cameras. I know for a fact that the Hatch Guns are spot on. I spent a day with one and shot over 20 fish.
    The Amero is cool because it is oval shaped and moves through the water like a Euro Pipe Gun. The big difference is it has mass and no recoil. Very smooth and very accurate. I have only shot the 130 with a 9/32flopper shaft, but can say it is a great gun. If you have the money it would definitly be a consideration or you could make your own gun and just learn to shoot it. I have done both and prefer to buy rather than build.

• WOW nice Pesca GR ,,, is that a Hatch gun in the picture?? are they on the east coast ??

A shoot out would be great. Pick a pool and bring the cameras. I know for a fact that the Hatch Guns are spot on. I spent a day with one and shot over 20 fish.
    The Amero is cool because it is oval shaped and moves through the water like a Euro Pipe Gun. The big difference is it has mass and no recoil. Very smooth and very accurate. I have only shot the 130 with a 9/32flopper shaft, but can say it is a great gun. If you have the money it would definitly be a consideration or you could make your own gun and just learn to shoot it. I have done both and prefer to buy rather than build.

• What research? Where's the European innovation? Lets have a shootout at a target between an Abellan gun and my rectangular piece (literally one piece) of wood.

1) reverse trigger = more band stretch = more power

Reverse trigger also requires less pull for trigger.

2) raised handle to reduce/absorb recoil = more powerful shot and less muzzle lift

3) Muzzle design utilizes the most band stretch

4) balancing the gun the way you like it

There are 2 places you can add weight or take out weight from the gun to ballast it the way you prefer. The handle and behind the muzzle. 2 screws each side. They have lead shots inside.

5) The reel is awesome. Holds almost 300ft of line and has that line guard on both side that will never cause a jam.

6) 120cm rear handle gun actually is a 112cm gun that equals to a gun that is 120cm long bandstretch because of reverse trigger.

7) stainless steel muzzle and handle design prevent the wood from getting all scratched up when laying on the floor of boat.

8) gun fires a 7.5mm shaft which has good penetrating power and speed. Thinner shafts tend to bend in flight causing a much slower speed.

9) My 120cm abellan moves better than a 110cm riffe to give it a bit of perspective on movement.

10) Even the handle is pimp! That design also helps turning the gun more easily and absorb recoil.

If thats not innovation, then i don't know what is. There are many other things that i like about the gun that I probably forgot mentioning.

I do agree that paying 700 bucks for a hatch gun is a rip off when you can get this gun for that price shipping to your door from Spain.

• Harry, I'll do a writeup on the details of a speargun that are most important to me, to counter your points, which I achieve with much less complication, when I finish my next and final gun.

In the meanwhile what about the shootout?

• Sure. Let me know when and where. Are you saying my points are not valid or just not important?

What are we testing exactly? Penetration, or accuracy?

• :)

Harry, some of your details are important but I achieve them in a different way e.g. I get more band stretch by putting a tab closer to the mech. Some of your details are not important to me e.g. easier trigger pull on only two 16mm bands, the gun finish getting scratched on the boat. More details are important to me but you didn't mention them or they're not important to you or you're not aware of them e.g. ability to add a shark spike, separate undersized holes for the bands so that they don't change position, a slim stock for ease of carrying, an enclosed track. etc. etc.

I would like to compare accuracy, range and penetration. I don't have a pool so someone else would have to offer a location.

• Hatch guns are just fine, Mako guns are just fine, Abellan guns are just fine...there are different guns for different people on different budgets, some shoot better, some look better, some feel better...so be it. Hatch is a 3rd generation family of gun builders building guns long before any of us were around so in my opinion that alone is worth respect and there is no need to dis any of there items...if you dont like them for any reason then so be it they work just fine for others. There are things Dan likes that another person could care less about and the same goes with what Harry may feel is best or GR or anyone of us, a thread like this or even a pool test would just go round and round, pick what you like about a gun, research it, save your money for it and buy it if it suits YOU and enjoy it, thats my opinion.

• $700 just seemed like a lot. I mean I thought Seasniper was $$$ at $589. I really like the slim setup of it and I may try one in a few months if I can get sumora.com to stock some shafts that will fit that gun. ( I have shot Riffe RA KJ Mori and the shafts Erik gets I think from Freedivers are insanely tough).

Thanks everyone for their responses... I wasn't trying to be negative I just wanted to know what everyone thought. :)

• I will put 100$ on Harry!

When is that!?

Which car is better? A Ferrari or a Hummer? A Mecedes or a Camaro? I don't know, but I'll take the Ferrari and the Mercedes.

PS: The girl has nice abs.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• John, not all guns are just fine. There are different design elements, which shouldn't make the gun more expensive, that appeal to different people in dependence of their level of experience/understanding of the finer details that make up a gun. Otherwise you wouldn't be getting rid of all those guns as you go along. Discussions like this bring those details to the forefront and educate, everyone can then make their choice based on whose opinion they feel aligns with their own.

I can't see anything wrong with Hatch spearguns, I prefer the simple no nonsense shape. But $700 is steep for any speargun.

• "not all guns are just fine. "

I dont mean fine in terms of certain mechanics or details of the gun, but, fine in a personal way to the person who shoots and kills fish with them just fine that's all. I understand there are elements to a gun that makes this or that perform better overal than a particular brand, but, was not meaning this in my post.

"everyone can then make their choice based on whose opinion they feel aligns with their own."

Which in the end there will be some who agree with one opinion and some who agree with the others opinion and in the end all guns researched would be fine for a particular person.