Most visible color on the sea bottom?

• If you drop a knife and it goes to the bottom, what would be the best color for the knife handle so it will be most visible? I guess it depends on what kind of bottom it is; reef, sand or something else. I'm interested in a hi vis color for all environments.

While we're at it, who thinks it's important to have a high vis handle on a knife? Me I've never lost a knife, so I don't care, and I don't like bright colors, they remind me of scuba weight belts. If it's important to you that the handle be a color other than black, what is the color?

On another note, what are the chances that a bright handle on your leg or waist will spook a fish?

And finally, if you really liked a knife but it wasn't available in a high vis color, and the color was really important to you, would you be against a little spray paint every once in a while? Or would the spray paint not adhere to the plastic at all?

• When you take ROYGBIV into account, I wonder how a neon purple would work.. I love my white float line.. Highly visible

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• even though you wouldnt think blue,, i saw my blue omer mask that had been lost for a week diving in bad viz at a decent depth, it stuck out from everything around it. that being said i too am not a fan of bright colors. black is where it is at

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• Are SEM dyes sold at pep boys or advanced auto parts? How are dyes different than vinyl and plastic spray paint? Do you think it will hold up to salt water?

I believe they sell an aerosol version, we use the custom color matched ones at the shop, it holds up on automotive interiors and rag tops that bake in the sun, not sure how it would fair in the salt though :confused1: its really a paint that is supposed to "dye" or penetrate the surface. heres a pic of neon yellow above and under water I found with a quick google search and a pic of C4 81's

• Y red?,
    Plastic paint primer must be given a special plastic (the plastic they use for car ejpl) before, then wish you paint.
    For me the best color if we get something in the background is white, the small ojjetos confused if we put a bright color

• I think Japsw is right. Neon Yellow for sure. A friend gave me a pelican saberlite 2000 underwater flashlight. Its neon yellow and its fallen off my waist/been dropped a bunch of times and its always extremely visible. Even when I can't see the bottom well I've often been able to see the body of the light from the surface. The color seems to reflect all the available light. Here is a picture of mine in my dark bedroom this morning. (carpet is light beige brown). And of me on the surface. I have a pursuits red knife on my other hip for comparison.

Edited 5 times, last by Reefchief ().

• Surprisingly, white is really easy to see against the bottom. It also reflects really well, so it's easy to pick out in murky water. If I lay one of my guns with an OMER handle on the bottom, I can spot the handle before I can see the yellow float line attached to it.

• I don't have a personal need for a knife I can see on the bottom, as it would be a Jim Suit dive to get it back.;)
    I like accessories that match my Gf'S skin tone and Binni top. :cool2:

Cheers, Don

• this color or white would be the best. If you happen to drop your knife and its black, you will most likely not find it.

Same goes for flashlights. I would use those 2 colors.

• Neon green. The guy I dive with has neon green coated dive weights and on deep dives or in dirty water it is the only thing seen from on the surface.

• Isn't there some science to this? I thought I remembering reading that RED would be a poor color to view at a distance underwater. Oh, I just found the info i was looking for. Color Underwater

And lighting and visibility play a huge role.

Dustan Baker