Koah Spearguns

• Don, Awesome!, needed security controls.

Reffchief, I see video of Sheri with accident :(

I've had two incidents without blood, Always shooting caves, the shaft is stopped and the gun is out of the hand me, backwards and the face, one with band gun and another cyrano 110 both hit my face and mask but nothing bad, my wife hits me harder :( :D. Thank God I have been lucky.

My friend, butt cyrano I take 2 teeth, broke lips, facial surgery.

Un Hombre tiene que creer en algo.......
    Creo que me iré de pesca!!!

• i have seen screwed in handles tear out the very first shot . if you have to use a screwed in handle it should be minimum 1"x #8 screws and #10 are better , i dont care what the math says ,real world rarelly cares about what the math was . but personally you are better off getting rid of the screws all together and doing a mortised in handle .

on the saftey topic i have build around 400-500 guns and only 1 guy has ever wanted a safety . a spear gun is nothing like a firearm the shaft can still fire with a safety on and without the trigger pulled (tail of the shaft breaking off , i have seen it happen 3 times now ,and i saw fracture before it happened one other time where the shaft would have broken the next time it was loaded . )

• Don I immediately contacted the builder after you alerted me to the above concerns(thanks) and he told me all his guns for two years now all have the handles recessed, I was very glad to hear that after reading your post as it is a 4 band 65" blue gun... I am now the owner of one of those guns as of yesterday :)

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• [quote='Don Paul','http://spearfishing.world/forums/index.php?thread/&postID=71862#post71862']

Don I immediately contacted the builder after you alerted me to the above concerns(thanks) and he told me all his guns for two years now all have the handles recessed, I was very glad to hear that after reading your post as it is a 4 band 67" blue gun... I am now the owner of one of those guns as of yesterday :)

Got my gun, Aug of 2011, and It's not recessed? You are buying the Koah blue water right?

Recessing the handle to remove shear forces is the way to go..

But total blame on the two guys getting there faces kicked in on just the shear force failure don't make sense. There has to be other factors involved. I will pull the numbers together later for you. It's in process.

• Yup blue water 65, will post pics as soon as the builder sends me before shipping...It was just finished

George Steele

• My first glimpse of my gun, still getting finishing touches at builder but soon it will be with me

George Steele

• I don't get it, do they have something against properly recessing a handle.. Anyways that Neptonics handle feels solid, and the color is neat. But gripping it I felt like it was made for much bigger hand than mine. I'd like to know what you think when you receive it George.

• I don't get it, do they have something against properly recessing a handle.. Anyways that Neptonics handle feels solid, and the color is neat too. But gripping it I felt like it was made for much bigger hand than mine. I'd like to know what you think when you receive it George.

Will give the full rundown first chance I get with it in the water. Dan the builder says he is having trouble joining the site FYI....

George Steele

• i i dont care what the math says ,real world rarelly cares about what the math was . but personally you are better off getting rid of the screws all together and doing a mortised in handle .
    )

Phil,

This isn't the best pic, but the UluSub handle is set into the stock. I had to gouge it out since it's thicker than the standard Wong handle which was flush with the wood. The mounting plate is about 3/8 inch thick and only a little is sticking up.
    Is this what you mean by "Mortised"? And how do you mount it without screws?
    Thanks

(sorry for the slght derail George. :D)

• Phil,

This isn't the best pic, but the UluSub handle is set into the stock. I had to gouge it out since it's thicker than the standard Wong handle which was flush with the wood. The mounting plate is about 3/8 inch thick and only a little is sticking up.
    Thanks
    http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/…942483530_955258066_n.jpg

Hank I believe Phil means its better to scrap the plastic handle all together and do it out of wood with a mortise and tenon like Dan did here Ive had fun doing mine. But its definitely infinitely more labor intensive then screwing a handle on. So I can see why production spearguns dont come with them.

• Hank I believe Phil means its better to scrap the plastic handle all together and do it out of wood with a mortise and tenon like Dan did here Ive had fun doing mine. But its definitely infinitely more labor intensive then screwing a handle on. So I can see why production spearguns dont come with them.

OK, I see what you mean in the pic in your Ocean Adventures thread. Thanks

• Hank that is a great direction to take this thread as it is pertinent to the gun.

George Steele

• Read this link below. The accident mentioned earlier in thread might be the one referenced in handle recall.

Doesn't look like it was a sheared stainless screw failure to me. Any info in his modications would be interesting and ties into this thread.

I'll pull a screw out of my Koah tomorrow and get some numbers on it as I promised earlier. Regular works gets in the way at times.

Letter - Wongspearguns.com

• Phil,

Thanks
    http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/…942483530_955258066_n.jpg

The handle frame acts as a tennon, is set into the mortice and secured to the gun with two stainless pins. This is very similar to the way a trigger mechanism is installed. At least that is the way I do it for my DIY handle frames.

When I use a neptonics or Tinman frame I rout out a pocket for the handle frame base to sit in and fasten the frame to the wood with screws. The frame flush with the bottom of the gun.

MN

• Beautiful gun, but that is NOT a properly recessed handle... I would not want to shoot that with 6 bands... Be safe.

• "The handle frame acts as a tennon, is set into the mortice and secured to the gun with two stainless pins. This is very similar to the way a trigger mechanism is installed. At least that is the way I do it for my DIY handle frames."

You built those handles yourself? whoever built them I think they are genius and why is this not the standard DIY handles in the gun world?

George Steele