Frickin' Jake.. spearfishing Belize

• Hank man!
    When I landed on the first page of this mammoth thread for the first time this morning, I was like: "shit, 45 pages of old stuff from an old dude in some far away place...:@"
    Then I gave the first few posts a quick glance and then, I was hooked.

I just, literally, read through all 45 pages. What a thrill! What a privilege and man, did I wish I would have been there just for a 1/10th of it.

Beautiful fish, great diving and you are doing it all with friends and family. Such an inspiration.

Thanks SO, SO much.

• Thank you for the kind words. And you're very welcome.

I think I developed this pleasure of reliving the dives and hunt from when I was young. My Dad and I would hunt Bobwhite quail together and that night, sitting by the fire having a few beers, we'd relive the day talking about the dog's point on a big covey or how they hunted a downed bird for 15 minutes and found it etc. . It was a big part of the enjoyment.

And this site has a great bunch of people.

• Back in Belize for a few days Got out with Belize Spearo and Alrick. Had a great time checking a few new spots. Jon and Alrick were getting some wily snappers deep. I lucked into this king in a more shallow spot. Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. :laughing:

• Now you call old farts "blid squirrells"?

"the sun even shines on a dog's ass sometimes"? :laughing:

But hey, this free diving is like anything else. You don't do if for a while and you gotta get your groove back on. And these young guys, diving every week....they're good.]

Honestly, they took me to a really good spot I'd never dived before. I've been past it but never got in there. I swam off about 150 yards south of them. It was LOADED with fish but it was their spot. Kind of deep....65-80 foot dives to get to the bottom. I figured another guy dropping down will just spook the fish. After they each got about 3 each, I swam over to look. Really a lot of fish.

It was all good. Great to back in the water. Now, I'm off to Vietnam in two days for another 5 weeks. But, the Spaniard is there. We'll hook up and check it out. :thumbsup2:

• Jake's gone to Kona but this was his school of dogs at one of our favorite spots. Used to have to travel 24 miles to get to it, now it's in my front yard. haha.
    Got another nice one too but gave it to my neighbor, who went with us, before I could get a pic. Beautiful day. Mo got a nice hog and Tino a nice dog. We got three from that school before they decided we were dangerous. haha. Yep

• Dogminator! :thumbsup2:

(or Dogminatrix?) :rolleyes1::laughing:

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G800H using Tapatalk

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Haha. I didn't get one fish on Sunday. Had a shot on some hogs and small grouper. I was checking out a couple new spots but ended up swimming my ass off because I thought I was on the dropoff. Swam out and realized it was a sand slope that came up the real wall a hundred yards out....150 yards out from where I anchored. So I swam north and south on the wall looking for fish. LOTS of baitfish. potential.

Then I came home and ordered this. Humminbird Helix 5 Sonar with Transom Mount Transducer 409590-1 :thumbsup2:

it really helps when scoping out new spots. Not for finding fish, but knowing depth.

• Yes, it has a transom mount transducer. I had a Humminbird, with transom mount transducer, on the Carrot Juice which worked pretty well. When you're above trolling speed it would get interference from the motors and stern wash, but if I slow down, it would give a good bottom picture. It was worse with the twin motors. Now that I have single motor again, it will give a better picture at speed.
    The model I had isn't available anymore but this Helix 5 had great reviews everywhere I looked. It's basic. No GPS or mapping upgrades. Just depth and sonar for seeing fish or whatever is down there.

• Had the first try out with the new Humminbird. Had good, clear bottom picture at any speed. No problem with turbulence.

I didn't spend a lot of time in the boat with it, other than driving out. A friend of Belizespearo (Jon) who is a commercial dive boat captain, and one who doesn't mind captaining while his brother and friends shoot fish, came along. We drifted, he drove. So I didn't get to see how well fish showed up on it, but given the bottom pics I saw....I'm sure it's good.

We killed it. Sorry, no pics. But Jon and Alrick were commercial hunters for a couple years and know all the spots down here. Big muttons, dogs, one nice black grouper, hogs....two BIG ones....