Antigua spearfishing reports

• Thanks for the info George, I appreciate it.

Is there anyway to even spear for Lion Fish?

Sadly no, the head of fisheries here is not sold on the whole lionfish eradication thing :rolleyes1: so the use of slings for them isnt even legal.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• You mean he thinks that if people are allowed to shoot lion fish with a gun or sling, that it might start a trend and people might actually shoot OTHER fish? How could he think such a thing? :D

• You mean he thinks that if people are allowed to shoot lion fish with a gun or sling, that it might start a trend and people might actually shoot OTHER fish? How could he think such a thing? :D

[emoji1] SHE thinks that saying spearing in any fashion with anything will cause the sky to fall on our heads [emoji6]

George Steele

• Diesel that's not true at all, the laws are designed to stop anyone spearfishing. That situation was brought about in 1999 by the then and now still head of the spearfishing association. That's why there was a ban for 15 years, keep informed or face a permanent ban soon.
    The laws on fishing as a whole came about by locals asking for regulations in fact, not even a fisheries incentive, much less a push to curb illegal poaching or foreign fishermen. Sad the lack of interest by local fishermen in their own fisheries situation and politics.

George it is absolutely true. I went for my license with Kevin (antigua), Nishan (canadian), and bruno (dominican). Kevin and I got ours right away but they turned down our other two friends because they weren't Antiguans (thats what they told us at fisheries). Only Antiguans by birth or otherwise were issued spearfishing licenses specifically. I don't know how they have changed the laws and regulations now but when I got it, that was 100% the case.

• George it is absolutely true. I went for my license with Kevin (antigua), Nishan (canadian), and bruno (dominican). Kevin and I got ours right away but they turned down our other two friends because they weren't Antiguans (thats what they told us at fisheries). Only Antiguans by birth or otherwise were issued spearfishing licenses specifically. I don't know how they have changed the laws and regulations now but when I got it, that was 100% the case.

Boss what did I say? I said the creation and implementation of the laws had nothing to do with keeping foreigners out of Antiguan waters, and they don't. And if you want to get technical, if your friends had work permits for fishing, licenses would have been granted. Anyway neither here nor there, dudes question was answered.

George Steele

• 30/04/15
    Got out this morning to try out two things i bought due to recommendations from right here on this site! Due to back issues I havent been diving but I said to rass wid meh back ah going diving!!
    Got a nice mutton yesterday while "WORKING" (despite what Oscar says) and said to myself I think they are around!

So anyway rolled out today with my new speardiver 1.5 mm suit and a new cresie mask recommended by makoa. Had the camera rolling so hopefully i have something to share later. I went all out today using a fishing flasher I modified as a throw flasher, and shooting a couple of Crevalle jacks to use as chum.
    It payed off, I was very relaxed and having great bottom times(for me) as well as shooting adequately. Not going into long descriptions of the hunt, I will say I had more fun than I can remember today, just me in a RIB hunting one of my favourite quarry and getting the job done.
    The Sperdiver 1.5 mm wet suit is my new favourite thing, super comfortable, tough and kept me at exactly the right temperature for where i live, being so comfortable definitely helped with my hunting today... Caribbean shooters take note!The Cresi mask had very very good visibility, glad i bought it, it wont replace my nano but for shallow diving and reefs it will be my go to mask.
    I forgot to bring my knife and dive watch :nono: i had to tear the fish up with my teeth, i have to confess i enjoyed playing shark with my chum :laughing:
    Messed up on two more opportunities...A medium sized fellah matrixed me and a very big boy startled me by his size and i froze like a rank amateur :@:D

George Steele

• George per our conversation on fb the two Muttons in your hands are gutted, scaled, frozen , with heads please, and shipped overnight to moi. You can keep the pink one in your jaw.I sent you a PM on how to properly prepare sashimi - and he'll NO that's NOT work :laughing:

• Beautiful muttons!

I'll try to find them tomorrow. Going to the "East coast" again. :)

Mutton snappers are among the first fish that show up when you chum. Good job! ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Awesome fish dude!:thumbsup2:
    I see you've kept aside your weight belt for the pics?:D

hahaahahahahahah very observant :laughing: but no, i use a weight vest for near shore dives ;)

George Steele

• Went for Ho's 16.08.15 didnt find any, came home with two small dolphin fish and one decent bull dolphin though. Havent been getting out. Missed the entire yellowfin season so far, maybe that will change soon.

Went on two near shore dives, one for snook...scored!(which i wont share here because US divers aren't allowed), and another for Jack crevalle, no crevalle but got a decent 7lb mut and a few barries for the boys on the dock.

The bite on my office has been a ton of fun though, nothing beats hanging a line while sailing at work for me.

George Steele

• He's bluffing. He didn't catch no snook... :D

:laughing::laughing: I have had negative comments from immigrants here, they like to call themselves expatriates(expats), but they are stinking immigrants :laughing::laughing3:... anyway the immigrants have had things to say about me hunting permit and taking snook on social media, they like to fly fish them and somehow believe this is their personal game reserve :nono::D I wonder how many more politically incorrect statements i can make in the next sentence? :rolleyes1:. Anyway I just prefer to hunt and keep my joy internally nowadays El Marco ;). Its legal here but I just dont want the hassle, with the short temper that I have I am trying for zen...:laughing::laughing:
    F@k the immigrants next time I will take some photos, if you dont have a photo or vid it never happened, right bud? :thumbsup2:

George Steele

• Yeah, Belize has the same law for permit, bonefish and tarpon. Not sure about snook but I never see them in the water.

And it's the same reason. Those fish are reserved for the tourist fly fishermen and it's all catch and relea….I mean feed the sharks. :D I've had fly fishing boats come up to us and the tourist (a Brit) tell me, "you can't spearfish in a Marine Park". I told him I talked to Fisheries two days previous (which I did) and they said I could (which they did) So I slipped back in the water and there was a nice cubera right under their boat, which I shot and brought right back up under their noses. It was a good day. :D

But now that place IS closed. :(