Spearfishing World forum fish records

• Hopefully this one will last a little while. Its a Leopard Grouper (cabrilla in esp). Shot in Gonzaga April of 2009. Went 16 lbs.

:D Here's some motivation to head back down to Baja Davis. I'm sure this record won't be too hard for you to beat.

~

I just got back from Baja. It was windy, but a ton of fun. Shot my first grouper on the last day of the trip an hour before sunset - a 16.5 pound leopard. We also shot triggerfish, hawkfish, pargos, and a grunt. Conditions varied from crappy vis to just huntable, but we stuck it out and got some nice fish :thumbsup2:

Mycteroperca rosacea, Leopard Grouper
    16.5 pounds

• Is tiger grouper the same as leopard grouper? Rolo, approximate time and place where you got those fish?

Tiger...Mexico 2006
    Schoolmasters...Bahamas 2007

Tiger and Leopard are not the same Mycteroperca rosacea vs. Mycteroperca tigris.

• Glad it was to you Daniel!:toast:

Soon enough!

Daniel- What type of grunt? If you look through the IUSA records, burrito grunt is wide open.... :D

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

Edited once, last by ddonnell ().

• tiger vs leopard groupers.

We need to start using scientific names.

many places will have the same name for diferent species
    and viceversa.

But, "normally" speaking, tiger grouper is from the atlantic
    and leopard from the pacific.

• If anyone is confused on what species of fish you shot, just use this website. http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?ID=9398&AT=leopard+grouper

You can search for fish here http://www.fishbase.org/search.php

I say if you want to start using scientific names you've got to also use the common name that people are familiar with at the same time. A format like this below would be easy to read.

Mycteroperca rosacea,Leopard Grouper

Glad it was to you Daniel!:toast:

Soon enough!

Daniel- What type of grunt? If you look through the IUSA records, burrito grunt is wide open.... :D

ha it looked like a 1.5 pound surf perch to me. Sandy called it a grunt and Darren shot it :rolleyes1:. I checked the IUSA records and they don't accept any ocean fish that is under 10 pounds.

• Here's some more of the Baja fish I shot December 2010 with Darren.

Hoplopagrus guentheri, Barred Pargo
    8 pounds

Cirrhitus rivulatus, Giant Hawkfish
    5.5 pounds

Balistes polylepis, Finescale Triggerfish
    4.5 pounds

• ha it looked like a 1.5 pound surf perch to me. Sandy called it a grunt and Darren shot it :rolleyes1:. I checked the IUSA records and they don't accept any ocean fish that is under 10 pounds.

Yea I've seen that rule in there. I'm going to put in a SOLID day looking for a Burrito Grunt over 10... the best part is that they taste great!

The Burrito is the gold-ish one. I think that one was around 5 or 6.

Oh and if you haven't eaten the Giant Hawkfish yet, its amazing! I shot one a few years ago having no clue what it was and it turned out to be amazing. Nice job all around!

Long Beach Neptune

USCG 50GT

• Oh and if you haven't eaten the Giant Hawkfish yet, its amazing! I shot one a few years ago having no clue what it was and it turned out to be amazing. Nice job all around!

Yah Darren's fish guide book didn't say how tasty that fish was, but when it said in the book, "Giant hawkfish will most likely be hunted to extinction by spearfishermen." I knew it had to be a good eating fish :D

Good luck on that grunt hunt. That'd be quite a challenge. I saw some big ones swimming around down there, but none that looked 10lbs.

• this is one from a couple years back .gilled and gutted it bottomed out my 30# scale the cooler its sitting on is a 140 or 150 and the gun is a 48"
    phil

That tail looks really massive, even though the rest of the fish looks the same as every other big halibut to me.

• Ha! Alex always beats me on quantity when we're spearfishing together, but at least this time I can say I beat him on quality. Got this 7lb calico bass in the same kelp bed Alex and me were working down in Baja this week. Shot this one stone cold. Looked down as I was pulling him out of the kelp and I saw a rockfish swimming right bellow me. Well I made a mental note and strung up the calico, untangled the shooting line, talked with Alex, and reloaded my speargun. Looked back down for less than a minute and I found that rockfish floating in the same spot after all that. Plugged him with one band. By then time it was time to go so I headed back to shore with my prize fish and a tasty snack.

And here's another shot for size reference.
    The thing looked massive up close, at least as far as calicos go.

Didn't know calicos had a taste for gooseneck barnacles till I opened up this one's stomach and found a bunch of these inside.

7lb Calico Bass

• Didn't know calicos had a taste for gooseneck barnacles till I opened up this one's stomach and found a bunch of these inside.

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/406/dscee1368.jpg

Nice calicos Daniel. They look like grouper family. Must be very tasty.

One question: Don't you eat the "gooseneck barnacles" in California? They are a DELICACY! In Spain are with a fortune. Are they allowed for you to harvest?

Very easy to cook: Just bring salt water to boil, pour the barnacles, bring to boil again and take out from water. Enjoy with a glass of white wine. :thumbsup2:

Take a look to this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPYv6Rt8Ktw

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• You know I tried cooking some gooseneck barnacles before, but I must have failed at cooking them since I didn't like them very much. You can harvest them in California, but most of the spots in Orange County the barnacles are protected.

I saw that video before Marco, actually right before I went out and grabbed some barnacles from the reef. They make it look delicious in the video!