Reel on a float

• Pargo here is a float from sporasub, it can gave you or other the idea to make something similar.
    also here is the page from them.

http://www.sporasub.com/prodotti_ing.html?lingua=ING

Pucho

Hey Pucho that looks like a nice float. I wonder how much drag will it creates.And that is a good concept to reel some floatline in. for those days of shallow waters

• More pics to get an idea of the actual size. No prices as of yet. I always liked Sporasub. I can't say that this is the perfect float the way I envision it but it's obvious Sproasub is making strides in the right direction.

• Looks well made. I would of make a few changes, like more pointed in the front an make the line to have a small channel that points forward. I think overall Is a good project and a change from conventional Floats.:thumbsup2: I also notice on the website that the new green cammo wetsuit looks fine. Using natural cell. ( never heard of it). Is kind of blue though it says green but still good. Hope the prices dont go overboard. I known sporasub in the Scuba side of the building for not to be so expensive.

• The concept of a reel attached to a board is a simple one and can be done with a boogie board.

For my needs I divide floats into the following categories:

1. Float for reef diving off a boat. This float needs a retractable line system but should be much smaller and more compact than the Sporasub Evo. Around the size of a the bigger RA float and capable of holding up a flag too.

2. Same float but bigger for bluewater hunting, which I don't do so it's not a priority for me.

3. Shore diving float. Here the Sporasub Evo gets close but it lacks in the fish storing capacity. There's really no way around the bungee netting for this purpose. Some ideal fixes would be a line anchoring point that will not tear out of the board. Flat surface on top with bungee netting anchoring points. An interesting design element could be a window in the board which will allow the diver to rest and paddle with the torso on top of the board and still be able to see underneath.

• I really like the idea of the first thread, with the line simply recessed around the float. Also I like the line a little thicker than what would fit on such a fine spool, thicker for handling purposes.

• It could be a bigger spool, also I think that the float shold be flat on bottom with some flare and round on top, dont know, this would be a neat proyect to work.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico

• Hey Dan,
    why not cut one of those foam Torpedo in half length wise and then glue/stick the out sides together. This would create the shape you're looking for, and give you an easy good starting point. You can round the edges a little for look and you can then cover it in that Rhino stuff you love.

• Cut a float in half length wise. Now you have 2 pieces with one side(exposed foam core"FLAT") and other side is the factory finish(Convex). Attach the 2 factory finish sides together leaving the foam core sides to the exteriors. You would have the shape you're looking for. Round off the edges(foam core sides) and that's it. You could also cut some of the factory finished side off as to not have such a recess when glued together, and to also have a larger/flatter area to glue/attach together.

Edited once, last by Toledo ().

• For what it's worth, the 2-part mix and pour polyurethane foam in about an 8-lb per cubic foot density is pretty tough stuff, but easy to shape with any wood working tools or hand saws. Just pour it into an appropriately shaped cardboard box, and cut away the cardboard after the foam hardens.

• Jeff, the two part foam doesn't look like it has the same properties as the above floats. I think it will absorb water?

True in that the two part foam will be rigid, and not soft as many of the floats are. But it has to pass some rigorous water absorbtion tests to allow its use as "unsinkable" flotation inside boat hulls. Anything can and will absorb water over time, but my gut feel is that the foam 2-part stuff should not absorb any significant amount of water in an application like this.

I've used the 2-lb density in two aluminum boats, but I haven't tried it for a dive float, so that thought is worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

• I have several floats, and i really don´t think a single float would do everything. The Omer shardana looks a lot like that sporasub float, but i think te sporasub is better designed. The Shardana/ Sporasub are diving platforms for coast spearfishers from beach and in a solo mode. Those are not intended for being dragged around the reef but to serve as an anchored buoy, to stack on speared fishes, water, guns and even lunch.

The other set up is to have a couple of floats, a R.A. rigid (i prefer the 8 liters one) and a good inflatable as a stop. attached thogether by a rigid float line to the gun and a short bungie. That is the best set up for all around light blue water hunting. I have also a big rescue can filled with foam, but i would use that along with a R.A. rigid for bigger fishes. The Rescue can is nice, but is too heavy and kind of dangerous if it bumps your head.

I'm a Speardiver, not a freediver

• Am I oversimplifying things? A reel or spool obviously comes with moving parts. Would a recess into a standard shaped float, with a couple of hooks for winding a floatline or other rope, suffice?