• Being an airline pilot I love space-age materials for the strength-to-weight ratio benefit. I think you're absolutely right that thicker may not make it stronger, however when applied to a speargun that is rigged with thicker bands and heavier shaft the added weight of the thicker barrel adds mass to the gun and allows for a more stable platform when all the forces of bands firing and shaft accelerating would cause a lighter gun to recoil more and have greater muzzle lift. I'm not a scientifically minded guy so I don't think in terms of physics, but tend to know by feel and experience how this adds up. My blue water wood guns are ballasted to handle higher tensions and heavier shafts than my reef wood guns that tend to degrade in handling when over powered, but not the blue water guns with the added mass and weight. Rick built these Super Venoms for blue water hunting incorporating thicker bands and heavier (7.5mm) shafts so that's why they come in a thickness that adds mass to the gun. That's why I really wanted to use that specific barrel for my roller gun conversion. I'm just a simple minded island boy that approaches my career as an art and not a science, and that is how I approach Spearfishing, as an art cause I'm not brainy enough to make it a science!

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

Edited once, last by makoa ().

• Great explanation, and I think in a skill based art form as well. But if the mass is needed on your pipe guns then why not stick to an aluminum gun in the first place, why the exotic materials? Again remember I have almost zero experience with pipe guns, so excuse me if my questions are simple minded [emoji26]

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Great explanation, and I think in a skill based art form as well. But if the mass is needed on your pipe guns then why not stick to an aluminum gun in the first place, why the exotic materials? Again remember I have almost zero experience with pipe guns, so excuse me if my questions are simple minded [emoji26]

George I wish you could try them and experience the difference. My favorite gun is a Super 130 with a 7.5mm shaft. I own 3 Aimrites, 2 carbons and 1 aluminum. The aluminum sounds like a pellet rifle when shot and floats vertical without the shaft, the carbon floats horizontal. Plus the swivel makes a lot of noise when it hits the aluminum. It stills kills fish like a champ but when you have used both, you will understand why some people prefer carbon pipe guns.

• Makoa your sons moana Kali is super stud. Especially since it seems when they get anywhere near that big they are so stinking smart that it seems they can count the wraps on your gun and know when you have come any where near close enough. Then they just split. Only on deep dives have I got close to larger ones. Thst fish is for sure a trophy!

Thanks for the photo of barrels side by side. Gives good perspective on thickness for sure!

• Just wanted to comment on the Aimrite. If you cut down the barrel you noticed how thick the wall diameter is. Of all the carbon tubes I've used (including the speardiver barrel) the Super Venom is the thickest measuring 3.5 mm thick!

The new Speardiver C3 Carbon speargun barrel with track has a wall diameter 4mm thick. It's available in lengths from 100cm to 150cm.

• So my eternal messing around with my aimrite continues. I have never been satisfied with how the gun shoots. Part of it could be the Indian but... Got to try to make things better. Almost gave up on it and bought another gun but finally have come up with a combo that is money!

Aimrite super venom barrel
    Aimrite muzzle. (Could be better for usability)
    Pathos D'Angelo 1 handle
    Meandros P trigger mech
    Single wrap
    7mm X 150 Rob Allen notched shaft

The best thing I have done so far and what has put it over the top is I used mold able plastic to modify the handle to my hand. It is so easy to do and so amazingly effective that everyone should do it. I cannot express how much more confident I am when I pull the trigger. Every shot is in the money! I will link a few pictures when I get them uploaded. The handle is ugly but is a dream to hold.

• makelymyday,

Ive been running carbon guns for a while now. Imo, for a 110 and shorter, the thickness of a supervenom barrel is not needed for ballasting purposes, especially if a reel is used....but thats my opinion. Right now my go to gun is a 100cm aimrite/pathos/speardiver/torelli/cressi frankengun.

100cm pro comp barrel
    pathos D2 handle
    Speardiver open muzzle
    torelli shaft (trusty rusty) 130cm
    with twin 24 inch 5/8" bands
    Home made reel using old cressi spool

I generally use this gun to shoot uku, mu, goats, snapper, roi, and other reef fish.
    Not the ulua gun of choice but i have taken omilu and menpachi uluas with the gun. penetration is kind of a problem with large ulua skulls.

I recently converted this gun from a roller, (mvd roller muzzle broke on me) so longer bands result in less recoil and a smoother more accurate shot.

I like the pathos handle, had to shave off the ergonomics and a bit of the grip due to fat Japanese hands. lol.
    the mech gave me problems though.. very heavy release sporadically, probably due to sand intrusion. Imo... the aimrite or merou style mechs (front release with spring assist). are much more reliable than reverse mechs.

the barrel is a bit thicker than speardiver, not that it matters much, but i did have to make a reel light enough to allow the gun to float (ulusub reel made the gun sink without the shaft)

Barrel is super strong and i dont hesitate to throw it up on the rocks if i gotta get out timing a set.

IMO. aimrite venom muzzles are way too bulky for what they are...

i like carbon steel shafts like torelli, ra, etc.. for roi hunting and hole hunting, really hard so no worries when shooting at lime or even basalt (in most cases) and cheeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaap!!! lol at least in hilo. also line attached to the end helps in retrieval of holed up fish compared to sharkfins or doghouse.

well. hope this gives you some ideas on improving your weapon of choice.
    dive safe and slay!!

Josh

• Josh- nice catches! Thanks for all the info, I know my super venom barrel maybe overkill but it is the barrel that I hsve so I need to use it. I can't see it being less maneuverable, and it floats fine with the shaft out so it seems to fit the bill. You like the speardiver muzzle as an upgrade over the aimrite? I hsve a modified rob Allen I may try out or get another, maybe the speardiver. I just put new bands on the gun, some of dans no hole rubber. I cut them to short! I can load them fine but I feel they over power the gun and accuracy suffers! Funny

Don- thanks! Wish I did it along time ago

• Josh- nice catches! Thanks for all the info, I know my super venom barrel maybe overkill but it is the barrel that I hsve so I need to use it. I can't see it being less maneuverable, and it floats fine with the shaft out so it seems to fit the bill. You like the speardiver muzzle as an upgrade over the aimrite? I hsve a modified rob Allen I may try out or get another, maybe the speardiver. I just put new bands on the gun, some of dans no hole rubber. I cut them to short! I can load them fine but I feel they over power the gun and accuracy suffers! Funny

Don- thanks! Wish I did it along time ago

yes, the speardiver muzzle is less bulky imo. and allows for wraps to left and right line releases. The band holes are also larger which makes switching out bands less of a pain, especially when using thicker stuff 5/8" up to 3/4". It also reduces the stress on the band where it touches the muzzle.
    Ive found that if you store your bands in tight fitting band holes, cracks tend to appear, much like the ones where wishbones are tied in. (if that makes sense) (i know i should take them out every dive and store them in a fridge..... but after 6-9 hours of diving i just wanna sleep. lol)

Aimrite muzzles are well made (the new ones, 1st gen was a piece of crap), and have a good rep, and i doubt the size of the muzzle itself causes any noticeable drag to most divers, but to me less is more, smaller the muzzle the better.

• Other angle

handle looks cherry, I did almost the same with an aimrite venom handle a few years ago. I ended up taking the cheek plates off and filling it with marine epoxy putty and shaping the ergos with that stuff as well.
    how do you like the meandros trigger mod? ive been thinking of getting one for my comanche handle (favorite handle).