Local Fish Table Fare

• Raw is good. I ate 5 lbs of poke in the last three weeks with two trips to Hawaii. This may have been posted before but what's a good recipe for Shoyu (soy) poke? I'll use fricken tilapia. That stuff is so good.

And Marco, hows the diving in Panama? Have you been in the Pacific yet?

• Raw is good. I ate 5 lbs of poke in the last three weeks with two trips to Hawaii. This may have been posted before but what's a good recipe for Shoyu (soy) poke? I'll use fricken tilapia. That stuff is so good.

And Marco, hows the diving in Panama? Have you been in the Pacific yet?

Hank while in Hawaii have u ever gotten poke from tamuras in Kailua near Kaneohe/ lanikai. Insane good. Lots of ahi poke the soy kind and the mayo kind (sunrise I think it's called). Also tako salad with some seaweeds in it I've never had anywhere else. Man probably the best food I think I'll ever have

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• I usually get from Times or Safeway. I'll be back there in May and will try Tamuras. Thanks

I like the spicy one too. I probably have dangerously high mercury levels after every trip to Hawaii. :laughing:

• I'm going out on Saturday! !!! :thumbsup2:

I'll take my gopro. Will let you know how it went.

:hijack2::hijack1::hijack1::hijack1::hijack1::wtf1::offtopic1:

• I'm Indian, and my folks LOVE small, bony fishes. They primarily eat sardines, common mackerel, and they also like beltfish.
    In fact, they prefer their favored bait fish to some of the fish I bring home from a shore dive!:confused1:

• Hank, eh Bruddah I posted a recipe a while ago in the Hawaii forum. I think it was titled Hawaiian Poke.

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• I eat Barracuda and Bluefish. I dont know anyone else here that does except for me and my dive buddies.

Funny though, for years i competed in a local spearfishing tournament. Everyone was asked to donate fish for the award day fish fry. The ONLY fish that i ever saw donated were Cuda and Spadefish. Everyone would say how good the fish was, but when asked if they would eat Cuda, they would say no.

The entire local population think that they are poisonous.

Now my friend Cedric, he doesnt cull anything. He talked me into eating Bonito. I did it to amuse him, but not again.

• Another fish I just LOVE to eat is minnow (fresh anchovies). Fried whole with the head, inners and everything. A sprinkle of salt and a squeeze of lime.
    Best thing to mate with ice cold beer EVER!

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• I'll make shoyu poke with cuda and give it to friends to try, then ask them what kind of fish they thought it was. Most, without exception, think they are eating ahi...yellow fin tuna! Cuda is too good raw to cook. Se hace lo mejor ceviche!

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• Marco, be careful eating fish guts. My ex father in law was just telling me a story about that two weeks ago. He knows his shit too (John E Randall from Hawaii. Google him) and is always warning about Cig. But he said there is another toxin that is deadly in the guts of some fish. He told me this because I too, like to eat sprats, guts and all. He strongly advised against it and told me a story of death.....

• My buddy Miguel really enjoys eating unicorn filefish. He says they taste like chicken with nice firm white meat and the skin peels of like a trigger fish except much easier because it's softer. I've yet to shoot one only because of how ugly they look and are very easy to shoot. Very curious fish, maybe I'm missing out?

:toast:

• Interestingly the Unicorn filefish is one of only 3 species that are an exception in its category (filefish/triggerfish) and as such is not considered ornamental and is legal to spear in Florida. I've never eaten Unicorn filefish but I have taken filefish in another part of the world and they are good eats. The flesh is similar to Ocean triggerfish and there are no bones. The fillets are thin as you can imagine.

I've also taken Trunkfish and Hank is correct in that there's 3 strips of flesh that are good to eat. But they're really small relative to the rest of the fish and I'd feel bad discarding so much of it, so I would not take them again unless I was in serious need of food.

Chopa (Chub) are :yucky: but I suppose anything cooked right will be palatable.

• Interestingly the Unicorn filefish is one of only 3 species that are an exception in its category (filefish/triggerfish) and as such is not considered ornamental and is legal to spear. I've never eaten Unicorn filefish but I have taken filefish in another part of the world and they are good eats. The flesh is similar to Ocean triggerfish and there are no bones. The fillets are thin as you can imagine.

I've also taken Trunkfish and Hank is correct in that there's 3 strips of flesh that are good to eat. But they're really small relative to the rest of the fish and I'd feel bad discarding so much of it, so I would not take them again unless I was in serious need of food.

Chopa (Chub) are :yucky: but I suppose anything cooked right will be palatable.

Bagged a decent size filefish once... it was delicious. Super easy to prepare and about as good/better than trigger fish. I really like triggers.

Ate Bermuda Chub today (scoff if you want)... did it with beer battered fish and chips; my buddy actually preferred it over the trigger in a blind taste test.

The one I'll disagree with you all on is trunkfish... had it once and it didn't agree with me.

• Another weird fish I've had was trumpet fish while I was in Kauai. We where throwing net and caught a really big one. They are super slimey but the meat was white flakey and firm. We where very suprised at how tasty it was.

• Another weird fish I've had was trumpet fish while I was in Kauai. We where throwing net and caught a really big one. They are super slimey but the meat was white flakey and firm. We where very suprised at how tasty it was.

Now that's a new one for me, trumpet fish!

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Now that's a new one for me, trumpet fish!

Yeah. I wish I had a picture of how we prepared it. It was one of the biggest ones I have ever seen. The body was about as round as my forearm and it was 5 feet long. Big silver one. If I remember right we steaked it out and BBQed it.

• First time I gave a speargun to my kids, they came out of the water with a trumpet fish. :rolleyes1::laughing:

I gave it away and the guy who ate it was very thankful. :)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Marco,

I am curious;
    What you are calling Bonito, is that the same fish as the Little Tunny that we have here in the Gulf Of Mexico?
    They are called Bonito here also.

The Frenchman eats them, but I use them for bait.
    He talked me into eating them prepared as sashimi once. I dont remember it as being bad, but I dont remember a lot as I had drank a lot of wine while cleaning fish that day.