Fish name translation English Spanish

• That´s one heck of a link

I recall a few being wrong, but that was a couple years ago. Not sure if they've updated it since.

Either way, it's still a great reference - especially since it has links to pictures of the fish. :D

• Im with Pucho on this one!! For what I remember growing up in Playa Santa they always called female sharks tintoreras!

This is right, I'm with Pucho and Yaudon. It depend in puerto rico where you from. My grandfather RIP was a fisherman for a living and do construction work as well.. And he show me this exactly. They call tintorera Big Females usually pregnant. So in PR is not only a Tiger. Could be even a Big pregnant Nurse Shark/Bull/Reef/Lemon/Mako Etc.. But here in PR it also depends on what generation you are. We call fish mostly the spanglish version. so most of this old names are not commonly used by us. But old Fishermans still bound by the old names. So where from the island you are. Your age. and your contact to the this sport or the normal line fishing life, will be what knowledge you get and what names you know. Even the Puerto Rico lacal list they post on websites for species names is not share around the island for all fishermans. :rolleyes1:. So one fish can have lots of names. Lots of yougsters dont even know this old names.

• Well all the ones i've seen, you can tell by the Big ass Stomach size, it looks like a ballon. Also they turn to be more agressive. Towards small boats, lines, or fish struggling on the lines.. They usually make this generic name for the ones line fishermans get to see when they out there. Even is hard for them to tell if it's a female, but like i say is a big shark/fat. Some of the old fishermans that will ahve them close to the boat can tell if it's pregnant due to the clarity of the water and the odd shape of the shark. But Pargo you know how the fishermans in our islands are. Sometimes half of the stories are not even close to reality. well at least my granpa and his fishermans friends got some stories that will make a good Sci-fi movie:D. I know you might have a few stories you have heard from Cuba that are a little exagerated. Not saying is false storie. Just a little inflated in context.:D

• The only consistent BS story I hear is about checking for cig by feeding the suspect fish ants. Most Cuban spearfishers I associated with were pretty serious about everything.

i say this Pargo because in Puerto Rico there some commercial fishermans that are cuban. And me and Rodolfo (ASESINO)have gone out with them in their boats. and i tell you they got some weird stories that were super. Most of their stories start. " i remember when i was in Cuba". But this are real old fishermans. The spearo comunity in PR is not as crazy when it comes to the story. But old line fishermans is a whole new game.:rolleyes1:.

• En "venezolano":

Snapper

Cubera snapper = Guasinuco, pargo caballo (Margarita Island)
    Blackfin snapper = ?
    Dog Snapper = Aguadera
    Gray / Mangrove snapper = parguete
    Red snapper = Pargo Rojo, Pargo ojo amarillo
    Lane snapper = Pargo rayao
    Mahogany snapper = pargo anime
    Mutton snapper = Cebadal
    Schoolmaster = Pargo amarillo, pargo cotorro
    Silk snapper = ?
    Vermillon snapper ?
    Yellowtail snapper = Rabirrubia

Grouper

Black grouper = Aguají
    Coney = Cuna
    Gag = No hay
    Goliath grouper / Jewfish = Mero guasa
    Nassau grouper = Mero batata
    Red grouper = ?
    Red hind = Cabrilla
    Rock hind = Cabrilla
    Tiger grouper = Mero tigre
    Yellowfin grouper = Mero Brasil
    Scamp = Cuna palmera

Jacks

African Pompano = Sol
    Almaco Jack = Coronado / Medregal
    Bar Jack = Cojinúa negra
    Black Jack = Corcovado / Jurel negro
    Blue Runner = Cojinua / Blanquilla
    Crevalle Jack = Jurel
    Florida Permit = Palometa .
    Greater Amberjack = Medregal Guaimey
    Horse-eye Jack = Jurel Ojo gordo
    Lesser Amberjack = Medregal
    Permit = Pampano
    Rainbow Runner = Violín. In PR is called "Salmón"
    Yellow Jack = Cojinua amarilla

Other

Barracuda = Picua
    Black margate = Zapatero
    Bonefish = Macabi ratón
    Cero mackerel = Carite pintado
    Cobia = Bacallao
    Dolphin fish / Mahi mahi = Dorado
    Goatfish = Salmonete
    Green moray =Morena verde
    Grunt = Coro-coro
    Hogfish = Pargo Gallo
    King mackerel / Kingfish = Carite rey / sierra canalera
    Margate = ?
    Ocean triggerfish = Cachúa oceánica
    Porgy = Pluma
    Porkfish = Catalina, Isabelita
    Queen triggerfish = Cachúa de arrecife
    Snook = Robalo
    Southern sennet = Zorrita
    Tarpon = Sabalo
    Trunkfish / Boxfish = Torito
    Wahoo = Peto
    White grunt = Cachicato
    White margate = Coro-coro blanco

Sharks / Tiburones

Great Hammerhead = Tiburon Martillo / Cornua
    Tiger =Tigre / tintorera
    Bull = Toro
    Nurse = Gata
    Lemon = Limon
    Blue = Azul
    Silky = Gris
    Thresher = Zorro

Rays /Rayas

Spotted eagle = Chucho
    Manta = Mantarraya
    Yellow stingray ?
    Southern stingray = Raya
    Smalltooth sawfish = Pez serrucho

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Se me olvido un Pescado que yo se que en Cuba se coje y en Puerto rico que es muy raro ver, en ingles creo que lo llaman roosterfish? Es como un pampano africano con esteroides y tres pelos en la cabeza. Alguien se acuerda de el nombre por que yo se que existe pero el nombre se borro de mi sistema:(. la edad me esta agarrando. es un pez muy lindo. y grande

• I thought the rooster fish was a pacific fish. I added it.

Thanks Marco and Monster, I've made the additions. Thanks for writing the names is a format that's easy for me to copy and paste, this work is a PITA.

Monster, I couldn't add your snappers because I don't which ones they correspond to.

Further referencing can be done with the sites provided by Straight shaft and Fuzz. If anyone would like to do this for the missing names and/or add new ones post and I will add it to the top.

• Alvin yo creo que tu hablas del pampano africano o corcovado que cuando jovenes e intermedios en tamano tienen las aletas y cola con unos filamentos bien largos, los bien juveniles son bien largas las aletas.

Pucho

eso eso eso. la memoria me esta fallando pero creo que ese es el que e visto . no en el agua pero en el muelle. Debe ser. por que ha sido local el que e visto. Pero Pargo ahora que vi tu foto si me acorde de algunas diferencia. y tienes razon no es ese. Ese va pal pacifico.:thumbsup2:

• En Puerto Rico sí es verdad que son raros, aunque he cogido un par, pero en Venezuela yo he visto verdaderas corridas de "Soles" o pámpanos africanos. Aparecen más que todo cuando el agua se enfría y se meten los calamares y cuando los coges, tienen el buche lleno de calamares.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Yo solo he visto dos pesque uno a cordel como de 5 libras las aletas biiiien largas, el otro lo pesco una amigo mio de corrida y peso como 20 libras, solo esos dos en mucho tiempo.

Pucho

Pucho
    Aguadilla, Puerto Rico