first gun advice!!

• hi I am brand new to spearfishing and I am in the process of find a good reliable accurate spear gun that wont break the bank. my budget is about 150$. I was looking at either the omer cayman sport 75, or the seac bolt 75. any advice for the two or if you guys would recommend a different gun that would be awesome. I am excited to start spearing and would like a nice reliable starter gun. thanks for the input!

killian.

• Hi Killian. And welcome.

What is the vis like where you're going to hunt?

There's a lot of great guys on here with a lot of knowledge. I'm a tropical, clear water diver. I use longer guns because I can see the fish farther away.

Also, don't try to go too cheap on a first gun. If you buy a nicer one and you don't like spearing, you can sell it. The guy who runs this site, Dan, has good stuff. Check the Speardiver Gear link at the top of the page.

• Hello, hank will always steer you right. Got to know what you are planning to hunt and the conditions you are going to hunt in to give advice.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• thanks for the reply. the vis isn't that great. usually murky and ill be hunting around jetty rocks, so I figured a 75cm would be better for closer shots. the species ill be hunting for are ling cod, rockfish, surf perch etc.. nothing to big. I mean id rather not spend more than 200 in all honesty. I figured I could start with a less expensive gun just to learn on and as I get better save up to buy a more expensive higher quality gun.

• All good advice given by both George & Hank - I lived in Washington State and what you really need is a good 7mm wetsuit and Dan's is your best bet. The water is always cold brrrrrrrr.

Regarding spearguns for your type of hunting - a powerful short mid- handle is MY recommendation but they are mostly wood and far more than your budget allows.

I would consider a used speargun - check in with some local dive shops and/or clubs and talk with others that dive in your conditions (cold & low viz with most shots in holes with short range) and you might get lucky and find someone that will sell you a good used speargun for your conditions.

I strongly agree - get a good speargun and with your budget it might have to be a used one.

Welcome and good luck.

Option 80 mm Phantom but a bit over $200 - https://spearfishing.store/30-spearguns

• Save up more money and buy a nice wood gun around 100cm. It will last you forever and you wont regret it in the water. And like hank said, if you stop spearfishing by some miracle you can always sell the gun. I think wood guns retain more resale value over aluminum as well. I have 3 aluminum "pipe" guns and I wish I would've bought just one 120cm wood gun from the start. Now I'm 3 guns in and I'm still going to buy a woodie for myself at the end of this month.

Just my .02,

Chase :crazy:

Relax & Go Spearfishing

• Save up more money and buy a nice wood gun around 100cm. It will last you forever and you wont regret it in the water. And like hank said, if you stop spearfishing by some miracle you can always sell the gun. I think wood guns retain more resale value over aluminum as well. I have 3 aluminum "pipe" guns and I wish I would've bought just one 120cm wood gun from the start. Now I'm 3 guns in and I'm still going to buy a woodie for myself at the end of this month.

Just my .02,

Chase :crazy:

So funny to hear you say that Chase :D I remember when you asked the same question, so cool to see your progression to where you know what you are talking about! :thumbsup2: Chase if you are looking for a lazer gun that will meet all your criteria and not break the bank I seriously recomend you look at the koah euro 120 with 2 bands and 7mm flopper shaft, tweaked with speardiver 16mm small id rubber. maybe a second hand one? I had my own custom with purple heart lams on the outside and teak inside :cool2:

George Steele

Edited once, last by Dude george ().

• I think you are looking in the right size range for your area. I personally wouldn't go over 80cm till you gain some diving skills. A longer gun will make it hard to shot fish at the really close ranges you'll be shooting. I started with a Jbl mini and iv shot lots of rock fish and lings with it. I think some thing like the speardiver phantom 70cm with one band would be the way to go. Only time I've needed a gun over 100cm is for salmon and I don't think you can shoot those in Washington.

• Look for a used one. There's a lot of people that buy guns and resell them cheap. But you must be patient. Look on ebay, Craigslist and the other board.

A 70-90 railgun will do the trick.

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• THe stock shafts on the two speargun choices that you listed are junk. So in the short, you're gonna be spending more $on a new shaft after the first rock you accidentally hit. If you're gonna get into spearfishing you may as well buy a decent gun with a decent South African shaft. Rob Allen 70 or 80cm or Speardiver in the same size would be a great choice for low vis shore diving. If you get something different you're gonna want to upgrade sooner than later. So by spending 50 or so more bucks now you're actually saving yourself $$ haha. Have fun up there!

• Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I am in a similar situation as Killian.
    I am actually buying my 2nd gun. The 1st was a Cressi 110cm that I found used for $50. It works great but the shaft is very thin compared to other shafts I've seen.
    I am pretty much convinced that I am buying a Speardiver Phantom because 1) It fits in my budget, and 2) I have read enough good reviews here to convince me that it is the right choice.
    I do have one question however, I read a suggestion from Marco saying "Euros aren't for everyone." I think my Cressi is considered a Euro but I'm not sure. Am I in for a surprise?
    -Alan

• Hope you guys don't mind me jumping in on this thread but I am in a similar situation as Killian.
    I am actually buying my 2nd gun. The 1st was a Cressi 110cm that I found used for $50. It works great but the shaft is very thin compared to other shafts I've seen.
    I am pretty much convinced that I am buying a Speardiver Phantom because 1) It fits in my budget, and 2) I have read enough good reviews here to convince me that it is the right choice.
    I do have one question however, I read a suggestion from Marco saying "Euros aren't for everyone." I think my Cressi is considered a Euro but I'm not sure. Am I in for a surprise?
    -Alan

Euro is usually used to refer to any gun with the handle and trigger mechanism located at the rear end of a gun, your cresi was a euro.
    Wooden guns can also be euro, but most have the handles a bit forward of the gun but.

George Steele

• A euro speargun in its most conventional form is a chest loading speargun with a hollow pipe for a barrel, a rear integrated handle/trigger mechanism, and a simple double notched shaft. The shaft has a round notch to match the trigger mechanism round sear.

There are intricate wood euros, with enclosed track and tabbed shaft. The only common denominator you will find here is a rear handle and chest loading.

A Riffe euro even has a butt extension, I think that pushes it past being a euro.

The phantom will be just like your cressi, just newer.

You don't even know what model Cressi he has, nuff said :rolleyes1:

• A euro speargun in its most conventional form is a chest loading speargun with a hollow pipe for a barrel, a rear integrated handle/trigger mechanism, and a simple double notched shaft. The shaft has a round notch to match the trigger mechanism round sear.

There are intricate wood euros, with enclosed track and tabbed shaft. The only common denominator you will find here is a rear handle and chest loading.

A Riffe euro even has a butt extension, I think that pushes it past being a euro.You don't even know what model Cressi he has, nuff said :rolleyes1:

The kind with a muzzle, tube and handle I'd bet.

What I meant its functionally he will not be surprised. That was his question.

Scupper Pro Gives You Wings!

• So funny to hear you say that ______ :D I remember when you asked the same question, so cool to see your progression to where you know what you are talking about! :thumbsup2: :cool2:

Insert many/any name on the line above. :)
    Helping others is a nice feeling. Teamwork==all of us AGAINST those slimy fish. :attack1::fishswim:

• I do have one question however, I read a suggestion from Marco saying "Euros aren't for everyone." I think my Cressi is considered a Euro but I'm not sure. Am I in for a surprise?
    -Alan

I said that because from my personal experience, in the USA most people is used to hip load their spearguns and an euro has to be chest loaded.

If you buy a south african 7 mm shaft to your Cressi, install these adapters and tie your own bands with dyneema wishbones, you'll give new life to it.

However, I like the Phantom better ;)

Marco Melis

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work.

• Marco says hip loading is for panzies and chest loading is for men. :laughing3: Dont you have a chest loading pad on your wetsuit? :rolleyes1:

Relax & Go Spearfishing