A few from Belize

• I shoot Spanish Macks from as small as 2-3lbs up to 14-15lbs with my Riffe Baja Plus with a large tip and 5/16 shaft and i dont have that problem. A sharp tip and good shot placement makes a big difference. I usually shoot them in the head or around the pectoral fin going forward. When they're big, a shot from above through the back at a forward angle or one just between the dorsal and anal fins work best. They usually just spin around on the shaft or shooting line. What i have experienced though is when the shooting line is too thin it cuts through them very easily if the placement is bad so in that case, just enough power for them to be shafted usually works.

Khalel what type of large tip you shoot with?

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• The Riffe large tip. I also do this with it...

http://imageshack.us/a/img850/3625/bajaaccuracy.jpg

hahahahahaah yeah i have done a few of those when they annoy me...hahahahahahahahah..Its really Ceros I am having trouble with my heavy slow shaft, my biller does not have the power of your Rife either in range, accuracy or shaft acceleration leaving the gun so I figured a smaller spear with less power on the bands of course would cure many of my current issues... Part of the problem was the bungee set up so I built my own last week and have had better results last couple of days but still think a light spear for certain fish would help me..but wont know till I try

George Steele

• A few from yesterday. Doc and DuQuesnay came along. Lot of fish were there but bad vis. Then Jake got a bad headache and my left ear was clogging up. I did 46 dives between 50 and 70 feet. Hard to get close enough to the fish without going to the bottom at about 70 feet and waiting. I'm gettin' old..shit.
    Jake did well. So I took away his Wong, wetsuit, low volume mask, long blade fins, computer and gave him a Biller 32 Mahogany and a pair of green underwear for camo. haha That ought to even things out a bit.....goddammit....haha
    The bad news is, Fisheries is closing one of our favorite spots to spearing. It will be for catch and release for the tourists. There are a lot of permit there.
    Honestly, I think it's a good thing. I've never seen anywhere in the world with fish congregations like this. If it were in SE Asia, it would have been wiped out by dynamite by now. I hope they can enforce it. WE have a lot of other good spots anyway.
    On our way home we got stopped by a boat by four large men, one with an automatic weapon and two with pistols. There had been reports of pirates stealing from fishermen here so we were a bit nervous and didnt' want to stop. DuQuenay started yelling at them asking who they were. It was Fisheries officers and said they understood our concerns about pirates.
    Then they were telling us about the closure....and looking for cocaine or weed that we may have picked up out there. They SAID they were looking for illegal fish....but with guns? What a day. Then I told them they better be nice to us or the next time they go to the dentist, Doc was going to drill with no novacaine. Then they recognized Doc, who is well known here and everything was cool. What a day.....

Edited 2 times, last by hank ().

• awesome hank!.. sorry to hear hitting the depths is getting tougher, your still outdoing many though :)

Nice fish and give the kid his gear back!

I'm working on the diving. We're going to put down a rope, no guns, just breathing up and divng. Playing around. In the PFI course it was easy to get to 80 feet. But with a gun.....and big fish to shoot at....I have a bit of a natural block that tells me to slow down at about 65 feet. I can stay there for 20 seconds or so....it's mental.
    There's always a way to imporove. Just focus. :cool2: Old guys rule. haha.

• Some days the fish make it easy. We were in one of our favorite cuts yesterday and I'd checked the "House" and the "Hole"....nothing. The young boys were on the other side of the cut and Jake had sinus problems so I was alone. LIttle to no current so I was moving slow along the wall. I looked down at what I thought was a big fan coral laying over behind a rock. I looked....and looked and thought....damn, that's a fin....damn...that's a FISH !!.
    So I dropped down, the fish at about 40 feet..... looking right at the fish with my gun aimed right at it figuring I still might get a shot if he decided to bolt. I thought it was pretty good sized and as I approached, it just laid there. I got within range and took and made a shot right behind its head. It took off toward the Hole but I held on letting out little reel line. As I pulled it up I realized it was pretty big.
    Personal best black. 53 lbs. Although when I gutted it, it had a 2 lb angel fish in its stomach. It was all white and I couldn't tell what kind of fish it was at first. So, I guess the black was really only 51 lbs. But maybe that's why he was laying there trying to hide under the rock. He had a full belly for sure.

Edited 3 times, last by hank ().

• I have the same shorts and shirt on as the pic in my avatar. Those are my lucky shorts..:D..and shirt...and it's NOT the same fish. haha.

Also, I"m not smiling in that pic. I'm grunting and telling Jake to hurry up and take the pic. That thing was heavy.....for an old man. hah

Edited once, last by hank ().

• Damn damn my friend. Nice work I LOVE that feeling when you look at something an dismiss it and then whoooaaa you suddenly realize what you were seeing

Thanks always for the report

i like to spear fish

• Hank I aint so old and that bloody fish would have me grunting bruddah!! Well done sah!! Any trouble getting it out of hole?

George Steele

• Hank I aint so old and that bloody fish would have me grunting bruddah!! Well done sah!! Any trouble getting it out of hole?

Thanks George, and thanks everyone. He didn't make it to his hole It would have been hard for him to get in with the shaft stuck in the way it was. He made one hard pull and was done.