Roller spearguns

• I found one of the articles, "The Ultimate Rollergun Test" online at this link, but you have to register for the site before you can view it.
    Ultimate Spearfishing Magazine

Attached is a converted copy with images missing. Also attached is the first page of the other rollergun article from that issue. The second page of the article is just a bit too big for the file size limit to upload here.

• I'll try to get some video in my pool.

I've got 2 double action rollers that are identical to my Wong MGS guns.

Should I use bands with 350% pull ratio?

C

• Great article.

Quote,"I think the 110cm is a fantastic gun, and will be a great all-rounder. Especially if you need a shorter gun, for either bad vis or maneuverability. The 110cm will give you the assurance that if you do come across something bigger than normal you will still have the juice and distance to get the fish. I experienced this when I went to shoot Snapper. I took the 110cm and landed up shooting my biggest fish of the trip, a 27kg Couta. This is something I doubt I would have been able to do with a standard 110cm."

:thumbsup2:

HUI KOA KAI O HAMAKUA
    MAHALO KE AKUA
    E MALAMA I KE KAI

• I am eagerly awaiting the results, not for the results per say but to see who will handle being wrong with grace ;):laughing:
    So many entrenched in their beliefs, but someone will have to bow :) Hummm wonder what will happen if Dan is proven wrong??? :frustrated2::frustrated1::blowup: OR :yay::ecstatic:yaydance::hooray::nana:

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• I am eagerly awaiting the results, not for the results per say but to see who will handle being wrong with grace ;):laughing:
    So many entrenched in their beliefs, but someone will have to bow :) Hummm wonder what will happen if Dan is proven wrong??? :frustrated2::frustrated1::blowup: OR :yay::ecstatic:yaydance::hooray::nana:

This - will be fun & interesting :laughing:

• Keep in mind that for me to be right all that has to be demonstrated is that the roller speargun will not have more penetration at the same distance.

That's a big part of course, as one of the two big claims is more or equal power in a smaller gun to that of a bigger gun, but the second claim is just as important, which is less recoil... that is just as big a deal Dan.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• If the rollergun is a little bit more powerful, it is still not worth it. I would need a dramatic difference in shot and penetration to switch to a more complex system. Yes, it is more complex.

It is so nice to pull 2 bands back and call it a day.

• My thoughts exactly, there would need to be a significant increase in power to make the roller worth messing with. But I'll stick to my guns (no pun intended) and my original point which is it will not be more powerful at all. Unlike a complex pulley system a single pulley doesn't multiply force, all it does is change the direction of the pull.

BTW Harry I was going through my odds and ends closet and saw an 80cm enclosed track wood stock that I built 5 years ago and never finished. It was to settle a debate between us about whether a pneumatic gun is more powerful than a band gun of the same length. Those were the pre Abellan days ;)

• You could measure the recoil, it is a force in the opposite direction. If you had a scale that worked under water and you put it against your chest and put the hit of the gun against it and film the "weight" that pops up and compare that