Which spearfishing mask do you use?

• Aqualung Technisub Micromask, have tried for two years to buy many masks in the vain search for an affordable mask that comes close, sadly the search continues. Best mask period, if you are lucky enough for it to fit your face.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day in the boatyard
    George Steele

• Aqualung Technisub Micromask, have tried for two years to buy many masks in the vain search for an affordable mask that comes close, sadly the search continues. Best mask period, if you are lucky enough for it to fit your face.

Have you tried the Speardiver Micromask? It is the same mask at about half the price

i like to spear fish

• Lunker no I haven't, have you personally tried it? If so I would be very keen to hear how it compared, especially as I know you also love the tecsub micro. I tried the stealth but it squeezed my forehead, gave it to my wife and she thinks it's the best mask ever... Masks are so much about the individual face.

George Steele

• Lunker no I haven't, have you personally tried it? If so I would be very keen to hear how it compared, especially as I know you also love the tecsub micro. I tried the stealth but it squeezed my forehead, gave it to my wife and she thinks it's the best mask ever... Masks are so much about the individual face.

I'm using the stealth mask now I had that same issue with it putting pressing on my forehead. I started wearing the mask strap lower on the back of my head than normal and that pressure point went away. Love the mask now, very comfortable.

I have it and I use it all the time. I find it to be an exact ringer for my Technisub

i like to spear fish

• Well I am going to give it a try for sure next time I get rubber from Dan, thanks for the input.

George Steele

• I'm using the stealth mask now I had that same issue with it putting pressing on my forehead. I started wearing the mask strap lower on the back of my head than normal and that pressure point went away. Love the mask now, very comfortable.

Billy that won't work for me as I now have my camera on my mast strap and putting it lower would flood me.

George Steele

• Oceanic Shadow. Before that it was the Cressi Big Eyes and Omer Alien. The Shadow is low enough volume, the field of vision is great, and it doesn't press on your brow at all. I have a beard and it doesn't usually leak with it so that's a big plus as well.

• From day...5 AQA Mantis 5 and Naida

both low volume, and comfortable yet durable skirts, never had a problem with either...except when the snorkel is hooked to my tagline and i throw them in the water .....or store them in a bag with a spiny lobster..... or run them over with my truck......Ive gone through a few of these masks.:laughing3: still the only masks I can wear for 9 hour dives.

• [This will be a tad long, sorry...]
    I tend to always try on any mask that I come across whether in a shop or from other divers. Actually, not that many masks suit me as I am "too pronounced" on the t-section of my upper nose and the bridge between my eyes. With very little compression, a lot of masks will put pressure on this area which can be painful and give me headaches.

That said, I have collected about 5-6 freediving masks by now. But I only really use two of them these days.

The one mask I have highly recommended lately, though it is expensive and can be hard to find, is the SubGear Steel Comp. At least, that's what I think it is called. Very low volume, too, but it is special in that the glass lenses can actually move and bend inwards a bit. Think of it as a mix of the very flexible Sphera (which is my second most used mask) and a classic freedive mask. For deep spearing or people with EQ issues, I highly recommend the SubGear mask as it takes very little air to EQ the mask.
    If it fits you, certainly give it a try. (There is one with a frameless one-piece glass lens with almost the same name. That's not the one you want. You want the one with two glasses for the most compressible mask.)

I use the SubGear mask for shooting pics and video on scuba and for spearing and fun diving on freediving. Actually, I use it for pretty much everything except for deeper non-shooting freediving where I still use my Aqualung Sphera. That mask needs even less air to EQ since it more or less just collapses on your face at depth instead of sucking your eyeballs out. I am EQ challenged so I can actually tell a difference in terms of which mask I dive with.

The third mask I use, though not that much these days, is an old Omer Abyss for two reasons. It is the only mask I could find that fits me with a bridge between the lenses with enough material in it to drill a hole for a GoPro mount. So, basically I only use that mask if I want a camera mounted on my head.

My first love in masks was a Cressi Super Occhio Plus. It fit me well but I later donated it to this amazing woman who needed it way more than me (I got a replacement but the SubGear has taken its place):

One of the masks that I really, really wanted to work for me is the great looking, super low volume Zero3 from Omer. But... they should have called it 'The Zero to 3%' or something similar to signal the percentage of divers it actually fits. Because of its ultra low volume it has a very shallow skirt but it's also is a very stiff mask, so it doesn't really adjust to your face well. Most of the people I know who have tried that mask can not get a seal on it at all.
    I am guilty of buying one online based on its looks and specs but ever since then I have basically tried giving it to friends. No luck, yet.
    I have learned two things from this. First of all, don't buy masks without trying them first (duh). Second, the Italian face model dude who stuck his face in some molten aluminum when they were making the mask mold, must have a pretty unique face...

• Fantastic pics. Who is David?

Haha, so many ways to answer that question...
    I'll go for the simple one which is still true, the David in question is me:)

Thanks for the nice words. The pics are from a photo story I did on the Korean Sea Women, The Haenyeo.
    They are dying out, so most of them are way older than this woman. I think there might only be 1-2 under 40 and the majority are above 60.
    Some pics from an earlier trip here and some tearsheets of published stories here if you are curious. Scroll by clicking in the right side of the picture.

• Yo uso esta mascara para la mejor hoy en día en comodidad, es de dos piezas silicona y cristal
    MAXLUX S volumen muy bajo y excepcional campo de visión 127 cm3, las hay en diferentes colores.

<º)))))><

I use this mask for the best in comfort today is two silicone parts and glass
    S MAXLUX very low volume and exceptional field of view 127 cm3,
    there are in different colors.

• I've always been partial to the old school single lens type on the right for the look and the field of view, though I do like the ease of packing and compact size of the goggle type on the left, just wish there were better looking ones.